Thread: Suggestion to prevent shoulder pain...

Suggestion to prevent shoulder pain...

For about the last year, my transfers have started to get the best of me.I've been injured for about 5 years now, compelte mid thoracic injury. Massage therapy was the 1st thing that actually gave me relief to the shoulder pain. Two days after, the pain would dissipate and go away.

Then I asked my massage therapist for some exercise advice. We discussed my daily routine, and the positions I used my muscles in. She says I need to work the "agonist" muscles which are contrary to the transfer movement. Here are the exercises she recommended...although for me, it's in the wheelchair using a full height roho cushion.

My comments are in BOLD

Lateral Raises

1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your knees slightly bent. Sit in the wheelchair, your back straight.
    2. With your palms facing each other, let your arms hang in front of your thighs with a dumbbell in each hand. With a dumbbell in one hand, let your arm hand to the side. Keep your other arm secure on the frame of the chair. Do you have the back strength to do this with two hands and not hold on? I can't keep my frame upright doing it.
    3. With your elbows slightly bent, lift your arms out to the sides of your body until your arms are at shoulder height. When you reach the top position the arms and body should resemble the letter T. With your elblow slightly bent, lift your arm out to the side of your body to make an inverted letter L.
    4. Lower your arms back to the starting position.
    - This exercise can also be performed one arm at a time and with cables.
    This exercise can be performed with a therapy band to start. But I seriously recommend a VERY light dumbbell. (2 lbs, then 5 lbs.) Your goal should be REPS REPS REP. Start out 3 sets of ten , 3 times a day. Work it up to 30 repetitions 3 times a day.

Front Dumbbell Raises
    Note. I have said do this ONE ARM AT A TIME, and hold yourself upright against the back of the chair. As you become better, this could be a real two exercise which could train the paraspinals as well as the shoulder

1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your knees slightly bent. Sit in the wheelchair, your back straight.
    2. With a dumbbell in each hand, allow your arms to hang in front of you so that your palms are facing the front of your thighs. With a dumbbell in one hand, let your arm hand to the side. Keep your other arm secure on the frame of the chair.

3. With your elbow slightly bent, lift one arm straight out in front of you until your arm is at shoulder height.

4. Lower that arm back to the starting position.

5. With your other elbow slightly bent, lift the other arm straight out in front of you until your arm is at shoulder height.
    6. Lower that arm back to the starting position.

Results? I go to get massages now...without pain being there first I no longer have pain from transfer.

Thanks Jake

I definitely need to do more of this. It hasn't stopped raining in the UK for about two weeks so I haven't been out and about as much and I notice that my shoulder pain increases the less I do.

As a quad I've been thinking of how I hook up some weights which I can use/put away independently. They gave us theraband in rehab but I was thinking of like weighted cans with soft wrist straps.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Thanks Jake

I definitely need to do more of this. It hasn't stopped raining in the UK for about two weeks so I haven't been out and about as much and I notice that my shoulder pain increases the less I do.

As a quad I've been thinking of how I hook up some weights which I can use/put away independently. They gave us theraband in rehab but I was thinking of like weighted cans with soft wrist straps.
    uppertone rhino
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    uppertone rhino
    How much floorspace does it take up?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

theraband..

Now think about this for a minute....a theraband probably gives you a pound of resistance, at its maximum before it snaps. But you're lifting your body, 50 times a day, every day

You need to increase the weight that the agonistic muscle is able to lift, so it can keep up with your transfers!

Start light...2 lbs, 5 lbs. A couple at a time. Every month increase a little.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Thanks Jake

Another way to take some pressure off your shoulders is to use a transfer board. Building up core strength is always good, but you should protect your joints and muscles from unnecessary wear and tear whenever practible.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Those are two of the exercises they had me doing in rehab. I guess that was the reason. I had better get back to them!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005