Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: New Chair... tilite ZRA *PICS*

ha. sorry to hear it man, but welcome to the club.

i don't use the anti-tippers anymore, but i've flipped over before & probably will again someday. i hit my head on concrete once & could hear myself slurring my speech for a good 15-30 seconds, but couldn't correct it (i tried; was kinda funny). i figure that was a mild concussion. i didn't get a bump or anything, just a headache that lasted part of the day.

life goes on.

Good news:
    the doctor said it was just a mild concussion and memory should start to return within a day or so.

Bad news:
    I couldn't remember any of my online passwords (facebook, my space, care cure), so I had to reset them. I'm still trying to piece together this entire last week. My cousin got married, I flipped my chair, my family had a fundraiser for me, and that's about it.

The result:
    I'm scared shitless of my brand-new ZRA. Also, I'm still forgetting things people told me just 10 minutes prior, I keep having to ask people to repeat everything multiple times when inquiring about the previous week.

I actually think it might be getting worse...

I had to call my vocational rehab counselor just to make sure everything was taken care of for school this semester, question and my family some more about the events of this last weekend, worried about whether or not I was losing it, and after that had to dig up the list of classes I'm going to be taking just to make sure.

What a pain in the ass, um, head I guess... looks like the tipper bars are going to be staying on for quite a while
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    Good news:
    the doctor said it was just a mild concussion and memory should start to return within a day or so.

Bad news:
    I couldn't remember any of my online passwords (facebook, my space, care cure), so I had to reset them. I'm still trying to piece together this entire last week. My cousin got married, I flipped my chair, my family had a fundraiser for me, and that's about it.

The result:
    I'm scared shitless of my brand-new ZRA. Also, I'm still forgetting things people told me just 10 minutes prior, I keep having to ask people to repeat everything multiple times when inquiring about the previous week.

I actually think it might be getting worse...

I had to call my vocational rehab counselor just to make sure everything was taken care of for school this semester, question and my family some more about the events of this last weekend, worried about whether or not I was losing it, and after that had to dig up the list of classes I'm going to be taking just to make sure.

What a pain in the ass, um, head I guess... looks like the tipper bars are going to be staying on for quite a while
    jbinny,

You have what is termed post traumatic amnesia from your concussion. You may never have recall of the events immediately afterward because your brain never recorded them. That is fairly normal. If your difficulty remembering recent events and information persists, you have problems concentrating or multi-tasking, you may want to seek out a neuropsychologist or neurologist for additional workup.

Hang in there!

yikes, you clocked your head pretty well.

I second SCI_OTR's diagnosis. I had the same type of amnesia after my injury (the one when I broke my neck, not after flipping my chair). I don't remember anything about my accident (8.5yrs ago). It's a little strange not having memory of events that you know happened, but you should be okay. Seriously though, if it persists, you need further examination. This is nothing to take lightly.

so yeah, hang in there!

jbinny-
    OW!!!
    hope all gets better soon.
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

it wont be the last time jb. learn to tuck your chin and take the hit in the shoulder blade area. unfortunatly you have to know how to fall when your in a chair because it happens
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Hi JBinny,

A year ago I got a new Quickie GPV.... that's all Medicare would spring for. It's fine for me but I really like your new chair.

Just last month I got new flooring in my house. And my carpeting looks identical to yours.

Is that "Indoor/Outdoor" or what they call "Commercial" carpeting. That's what I got because I have a dog and the last two I had made quite a mess of the thick pile carpeting and the padding that was underneath it. I used buckets of OxyClean on it but it still smelled a bit and looked like hell. The Commercial carpeting and the steam vac that I got to go along with it should make that problem a thing of the past.

But to my point. It concerns you flipping over backwards on Commercial carpeting versus regular or thick pile with padding and hitting your head again. I notice that it's much easier to push my chair on the Commercial carpeting (something I hadn't thought about before I ordered it... an added bonus) but it's a much harder surface than regular carpeting with padding. I've fallen over backwards on my old carpeting and the thick pile and padding really saved my noggin a few times.... I never went unconscious or even got a bump on my head. But once I fell over backwards on my kitchen linoleum and was unconscious for some time. I was alone here and just woke up on the floor with a bump on my head, seeing stars and having a strange taste in my mouth. I must have shaken something loose in my brain were my taste buds are located at! I don't know how long I was out for, probably 15 minutes.. that's my guess.

So if that's Commercial carpeting in your house that your parents got so that it's easier for you to wheel around on (or for whatever reason) be careful about falling backwards on it... mine affords very little cushioning effect... it's almost as hard as the concrete that it's glued to!

I'm a para and can usually catch myself and prevent hitting my head on the floor by putting my arms back so I didn't bother to order anti-tip bars on my new GPV. I still have a collection of them from my other Quickies but haven't used them on my chair for over 20 years. I got in more trouble forgetting that they were down and popping a wheelie to jump down a curb and then falling forward. I'd rather fall backwards than forwards!

I'm scared shitless of my brand-new ZRA.
    Just make sure that your anti-tip bars are down but don't try any wheelies with them in that position! Get back up on the ZRA horse but be a bit more careful in the future.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria