Thread: Aquila airpulse

Aquila airpulse

I am thinking of buying one of these, my present cushion is a Pegasus airwave altern 8. I went to rehab and had the pressure mapping done but the therapist is leaning for me to get the rojo high profile. I think it is more of a insurance and cost issue. I see from searching some people have these already and would like to hear any thoughts you might have on them or if anyone has other suggestions. Thanks

I bought one about two weeks ago. I think I sat on it for about five days in all and felt that it wasn't helping my situation. I have a sore and sitting on the Airpulse made me sweat whereas on the roho, no sweating. Also, Aquile have a pressure mapping section on their website which makes it sound fantastic. I did some research and found out that the information they use is outdated. I have read many good things about this cushion. Having said that, I have spoken with two people on here that had the cushion and actually made their pressure sores worse. The theory behind the cushion sounds great. Problem is, does it really work? I was sorely disappointed. They claim to have sold many hundreds of these cushions but I have yet to find many people who have used it successfully. If you haven't got a sore, I really think this cushion is a waste of money for you. That is just my point of view

Aquila

Thanks for your input. I am trying to heal a pressure sore and have been pressure mapped on the cushion. I know everyone's body is different & I have read on here that the Roho causes sweating. How confusing!! I hope I make the right choice, sure don't want to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cameljoe
    Thanks for your input. I am trying to heal a pressure sore and have been pressure mapped on the cushion. I know everyone's body is different & I have read on here that the Roho causes sweating. How confusing!! I hope I make the right choice, sure don't want to get worse.
    I think you sweat because there is an underlying problem. I would imagine that it is an indication that a pressure sore is hurting. If you don't sweat, then whatever cushion you are sitting on, is obviously giving you some relief, .

I think the problem with a lot of alternating cushions is that during the cycle, you get a lot of pressure for a period of time. Unlike the roho where is set up properly, the pressure is very low all the time. I would imagine that a sore prefer very low pressure all the time a rather than very high pressure every minute for 15 seconds. I am probably talking rubbish, but this is my understanding of the situation

Did you ever consider that the sweating might be an underlying condition like autonomic dysreflexia? Reading that I have done on the subject suggests that changes in cushion feel will trigger it and the sweating will start up. Gradually increasing sitting times for new cushions has helped some people to adapt to the change in feel without triggering the sweating. The dynamic cushions in general will give periods of high pressure but the one I think highlyof is the airpulse cushion because it has adjustable pressure. The pressure maps show excellent results too although pressure mapping is just a tool and not to be given as much credence as people give it. The calibration of the pressure map device must be done every couple of weeks or the results will be so far off that they can be thrown out and disregarded. I read a study on pressure mapping and there is a margin of error of 20 - 50% with an uncalibrated system. Another interesting fact is that the scale can be changed so that a cushion can look really bad on the computer screen even though it is actually much better. I once saw a roho rep do this with the xsensor pressure map system. With just a keystroke he made a really good looking pressure map change to a very poor looking map. Makes me wonder how often they do that to make thier cushions look good and others look bad.