Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I Overly-Sensitive to this Article?

People say all sorts when they're being interviewed that they wish they hadn't said or which could be misconstrued, it's why CEOs get training to deal with interviews.

I wouldn't read that much into it. The phrase 'he/she saved my life' is over-used as a metaphor for 'did me a really big favour' and although that's maybe not the case in this context, people forget the power of their words
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Pointing this out may piss off any number of people, but take a read through some of the threads on this board. Any number of disabled people seem rather convinced that paralysis equals death or that you can't have a real life (gods forbid a career) after suffering such an injury. If people who have lived with a SCI for some years think that way, why are you surprised that an AB person who has narrowly avoided such a traumatic injury might view it the same?

C.
    I know there are some negative threads and pessimistic members, but there are also some inspirational posters who helped show me that one can make a life after paralysis. I came here years ago. The examples that some set were motivation for me to finish grad school and get out there and land a job in my profession.

Since many seem to write off this ignorance, shouldn't we try to change that perception?

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    People say all sorts when they're being interviewed that they wish they hadn't said or which could be misconstrued, it's why CEOs get training to deal with interviews.

I wouldn't read that much into it. The phrase 'he/she saved my life' is over-used as a metaphor for 'did me a really big favour' and although that's maybe not the case in this context, people forget the power of their words
    Ditto. Idioms and clich├ęs are thrown around without much caution nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    I know there are some negative threads and pessimistic members, but there are also some inspirational posters who helped show me that one can make a life after paralysis. I came here years ago. The examples that some set were motivation for me to finish grad school and get out there and land a job in my profession.
    That's great and I agree. There are some very cool people here that I admire for their general attitude and approach to life. I was only pointing out that it seems unfair to condemn an AB person for expressing a belief about disability that is commonly expressed by people with SCI.

Since many seem to write off this ignorance, shouldn't we try to change that perception?
    Absolutely. Ignorance is generally curable. It can be frustrating and maddening to deal with, but the more effort that is put into educating people, the better off we all are. Not everyone will be educated, but it's still worth trying.

And I'm sorry if this woman's words pained you. It may be that since she knows you that what she said sounded like she was saying that your life isn't worth living. I bet almost everyone posting to these boards has had at least one person look them in the eye and say something like, "I don't know how you do it. If this ever happened to me, I'd kill myself". At this point in my life, those comments just make me laugh. Aren't they just too silly to take seriously?

C.

Peoples comments about being disabled should be taken with a grain of salt and marked for ignorance. All AB people know is walking for they havent dealt with a disability in one way or another. I know when my daughter had her injury and they told me she would be paralyzed, I was not only dealing with what happened to her and almost losing her, but I had this new fear of what her life would be like. I too was ignorant to the fact that she could have a normal life. I soon had a slap in the face the day that my moms friend, who lost her only child due to a horrific bout of cancer, approached me and said I would give anything to have my daughter back even if she had to be in a wheelchair. Right then and there I knew, and decided I would help my daughter achieve everything there is that life has to offer. As long as her heart still beats and her lungs take air, she will live and be alive.

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

You may be right on target, especially as she knows you but remember, what she actually said and meant is often lost in the translation from interview to paper. That first quote does sound like she thinks paralysis=death, but she very well could have meant that she could have been paralysed, or worse, even died as well.

As far as the second quote goes, I actually read that one as referring to herself specifically, that she is having a hard time with the loss of independence.

(and rereading the thread, ami pretty well just said all that ..... sorry.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Devil's Advocate here....maybe she was being literal....She had Osteomyeletis...in her SPINE....Had to be hospitalized with IV ABX...then sent home w/IV ABX...maybe just maybe she was crediting the dr w/saving her life and then commenting that she could have ALSO been paralyzed...not equating the two, but two different scenarios....Afterall, we al know that Osteo can be fatal...

We also don't really know what she said in between those quotes...Editors have a way of chopping stories to change what was really said into something completely different than how it was originally written...

The last quote about independance and working on a career...I think she's being brutally honest about how she's been feeling and what she's been going through...

I'd say your personal feelings have def made you more critical of the article/person...However I feel like there is some odd medical info in the article that I'd be questioning...Either the paper got misinformation or she's got less than stellar dr's...I'd be questioning some of the stuff if I were her...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Most AB's hold ableist views which they continue to possess once they become disabled. The AB who thinks paralysis = death will most likely become the SCI who thinks paralysis = death. A change in that perception requires time, positive experiences and exposure although it never changes for some.

Reminds me of a quote from a previous post:

Empathy is wonderful, but projecting ourselves
    into a position that we have never actually experienced, and making assumptions
    that lead us to incorrect conclusions, are not wonderful.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...756#post669756