Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Overly-Sensitive to this Article?

Am I Overly-Sensitive to this Article?

I graduated high school with the woman in the linked article. Perhaps my bias against her (she helped break up a couple who had been married for almost 30 years and also were the parents of one of my best friends, but whatever) is making me overreact, but a few statements she made irritated me.

Article: http://www.madisondailyleader.com/si...d=181987&rfi=6

"I feel like Dr. Alvine saved my life by putting me on that antibiotic," Sanford said. "I could have been paralyzed."
    Does that mean that paralysis equals death?
    "It's a loss of independence," she said. "At 29, you should be working on your career and making a life for yourself, and that's all gone. It's been real hard."
    You can't make a life for yourself and/or work on a career if your paralyzed?

I'm glad she isn't actually paralyzed, but is this how the vast majority of the able bodies think?

Hey Honcho;

LOL, yep, there are some whoppers of ignorant disability "Doh!" quotes that make your friend sound like Paris Hilton with a hangnail. But, I would give her the benefit of the doubt and blame the writer first and foremost.

This paragraph is about as bad as it gets:

Sanford said one of her doctors explained that she was out of the woods, but in a meadow, and she will always be in a meadow because there's a chance the infection can come back at any time.
    "...out of the woods, but in a meadow." Suddenly, meadows are scary places. I can't get the image out of my mind of a huge meadow filled with my friends who are in wheelchairs.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

When I read it, I think the loss of independence statement was more about how she is hampered by her current condition, not about being paralyzed. And the he saved my life thing is kinda weird, but maybe she meant it as the infection could have killed her and the abx saved her ... and another effect could have been paralysis. But then, if she is a known dweeb, maybe she really is just an insensitive dolt who equates paralysis with death.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

when you're able-bodied, getting paralyzed is a kin to the most horrible thing that can happen to you. so is death. it's a close call.

getting a disability does affect your career and the life you always thought you'd make for yourself, often times adversely.

so in that respect, what she says is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz99
    when you're able-bodied, getting paralyzed is a kin to the most horrible thing that can happen to you. so is death. it's a close call.
    More history as to why I may think she should know a little better than equating paralysis to death: I'm from a small town of 7000, so everybody knows what goes on. A year or so after my accident, her little sister was killed in a drunk driving accident. Would she think her sister being paralyzed (if that would have happened) is on the same level as her death?
    Last edited by Mike Honcho; 07-02-2007 at 09:07 PM.

The mindset of (some) doctors is that SCI is a permanent condition and worse than death itself.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    Does that mean that paralysis equals death?

You can't make a life for yourself and/or work on a career if your paralyzed?

I'm glad she isn't actually paralyzed, but is this how the vast majority of the able bodies think?
    Pointing this out may piss off any number of people, but take a read through some of the threads on this board. Any number of disabled people seem rather convinced that paralysis equals death or that you can't have a real life (gods forbid a career) after suffering such an injury. If people who have lived with a SCI for some years think that way, why are you surprised that an AB person who has narrowly avoided such a traumatic injury might view it the same?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    When I read it, I think the loss of independence statement was more about how she is hampered by her current condition, not about being paralyzed. And the he saved my life thing is kinda weird, but maybe she meant it as the infection could have killed her and the abx saved her ... and another effect could have been paralysis. But then, if she is a known dweeb, maybe she really is just an insensitive dolt who equates paralysis with death.
    I think the same , she could have been in a coma & die post paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    More history as to why I may think she should know a little better than equating paralysis to death: I'm from a small town of 7000, so everybody knows what goes on. A year or so after my accident, her little sister was killed in a drunk driving accident. Would she think her sister being paralyzed (if that would have happened) is on the same level as her death?
    If she is a shallow as you think ,perhaps yes (for her)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Pointing this out may piss off any number of people, but take a read through some of the threads on this board. Any number of disabled people seem rather convinced that paralysis equals death or that you can't have a real life (gods forbid a career) after suffering such an injury. If people who have lived with a SCI for some years think that way, why are you surprised that an AB person who has narrowly avoided such a traumatic injury might view it the same?

C.
    See, good point.

Although, the woman is a known idiot apparently so I wouldnt read into it too much