Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sicko

Sicko

So who has seen Sicko?? I saw it this morning. Probably Michael Moore's best work to date. There was cheering in the theater in various parts of the film.

I would be especially interested in hearing the reactions of the non-USA members of our forums. Although he did feature some people with serious illnesses, there was no one with a serious mobility disability, which was unfortunate. He also made it too late to feature the problems at Walter Reed, etc. A friend of mine is his cousin, and he said he is actually considering a part 2 as there was so much that he had to leave out. Certainly points the finger at our non-functional health care "system" in the USA.

(KLD)

I can download it and tell what I felt after I have seen it. No subtitles though, I don't know if I understand everything they say.
    TH 12, 43 years post

KLD

i haven't seen the movie yet. But what I know about the movie is he wants socialize medical here. I really don't think it would workout here. It would distroy our economy.

I think we need to broaden our current system to provide insurance to people who have conditions or lower incomes and let them pay a reasonable fee to medicare for their health care.

This way you wont have the government running our hospitals. Their not very good business people. It would be a mess.

Actually, the government already runs one of the largest hospital systems in our country...the VA. The VA health care system has won numerous awards for the quality of their health care, their information systems, and comprehensiveness of their programs. I often have to tell non-veterans that they cannot get care thorugh the VA even if they pay for it, and they do ask as they know that in many areas (such as SCI care) we are the best. Michael Moore wanted to feature this system in his film but ran out of time. If you see the film and still think that our system is superior that that offered in other countries with "socialized" medicine, come back and comment here.

Meanwhile, our health care system is run by Big Business (the insurance industry) with government officials (legislators) in colusion with them. Legislators, who, in fact get all the free healthcare they want at Walter Reed or Bethesda, in a private ward (run by our government's military health care system). Is that better?

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-02-2007 at 01:49 AM.

Rainman~ Our insurance system doesn't work. I have an excellent policy but have beenwaiting 6 weeksas well as going through hoops toget an MRI of my leg(knee to femur) done. There is no need,especially given the diagnosis. Yes,I am fighting and going through the appeal,all the while waiting. I have to believe that given the diagnosis,it should be moving faster. My families health care policy costs about 24,000 a year. This doesn't include my out of pocket fees.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Here is Obama's health care plan, if you think the U.S. can't afford universal health care.

http://www.barackobama.com/2007/05/2...sal_health.php

I haven't seen the movie yet.

I had health insurance for a while. But since I got hurt, the cost of insurance went way
    up and my income way down. So f***k it.
    Last edited by Buck503; 07-02-2007 at 12:36 AM.

We saw it yesterday, and I get why even Fox News was saying it was brilliant. What Moore does is compare the worst case scenarios that happen here in the USA (people literally dying after being denied treatment due to lack of coverage) with what is just normal and taken for granted in other western countries. You see these people in other countries looking puzzled at the idea that they would have to fork over cash to doctors or hospitals, and you think about how weird it would seem to us to have to write a check every time you called the fire department or went to the library. For people in other countries, health care is like that--something that you never imagine should be limited to those who can pay.

We have a system that rewards health care providers for NOT providing care. There are doctors working for HMO's here who get bonuses for denying the most patients. There are people working at insurance companies whose job is to find loopholes that will allow them to deny service.

Moore makes it obvious that this is nuts, and wrong, and that there is another way to do it that has been shown to work perfectly well almost everyplace else in the developed world.

I hope everyone sees the film. I have personally sat in a hospital room and had a financial counselor (!) tell me that our insurance was going to fall $70,000 short of what my husband's stay was going to cost.

We had great insurance, too!

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    Rainman~ Our insurance system doesn't work. I have an excellent policy but have beenwaiting 6 weeksas well as going through hoops toget an MRI of my leg(knee to femur) done. There is no need,especially given the diagnosis. Yes,I am fighting and going through the appeal,all the while waiting. I have to believe that given the diagnosis,it should be moving faster. My families health care policy costs about 24,000 a year. This doesn't include my out of pocket fees.
    +6

Cheesecake

You would be waiting in canada to. If its not an emergancy need you go on a waiting list.

KLD

I'm not saying our system is good. It needs a lot of work. But their system is not any better.

Do you really want the government telling you how much your going to get paid. I don't think to many doctors and nurses want to take a pay cut.

Look at our education system. It ranks close to last in the industrail world. You have to go to a private school to get a decent education. Ask a teacher if their satisfied with their pay.

Our system is flawed by abuse. Hospitals, doctors and patient charging for coverage that wasn't performed and over charging for others. I see it happen almost evering time I go to the hospital.

And when you give people something free that they thing they should be intitled to they will go over board on abusing the system.

Look at our social security system. I insure a lot of older people with their auto and homes and they constantly complain that they can't afford to live on what the government provides for them. Social security was formed as a suppliment to help you out in retirement. Not to support you. The problem is, theres a large part of people that wont take personable responsibility for their own self or others.And there are those that really need and deserve the care because they fell through the cracks. But those others will make it impossible to make it happen.

The government (the VA) already determines what I and the doctors I work with make. No one gets rich, but we have a comfortable income that is comparable to the community. I don't know any nurses who went into nursing to get rich. It isn't going to happen in our current system or in a different system. I don't see the reason that physicians should automatically assume that they will be rich just because they are a physician. The government (through Medicaid and Medicare) and big business (insurance companies) already determine a lot of what physicians make and what they can charge. The film addresses this issue quite directly in the British NHS example shown.

There is no evidence from many studies that health care that is free is abused. Do you have studies showing this?

Health care that is needed is denied by insurance companies. Physicians don't determine now who gets health care and who does not...insurance companies do.

The analogy with SS is flawed. As you say, SS was developed as a safety net and back-up, not as the only income source after retirement. But insurance company's sell their product to take care of all your needs, then renig on this promise as much as they can. Their entire purpose in life is to NOT pay off on policies. That is also clearly presented in the film.

(KLD)