Thread: The sleeper cells are waking up

The sleeper cells are waking up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/...115693,00.html

There's a visibly heavier police presence in the city where I live. The two arrests were made a few miles away.

A baptism of fire for our new Prime Minister.

Terror threat 'critical' as Glasgow attacked

· Airport strike linked to London car bombs
    · UK-wide hunt for al-Qaeda cell

Mark Townsend, Jo Revill and Paul Kelbie
    Sunday July 1, 2007
    The Observer

Britain was braced last night for a fresh wave of terrorist attacks as the national threat level was raised to 'critical' following an attempted car bombing of Glasgow airport.
    Just four days into his premiership, Gordon Brown was dealing with the most dangerous situation facing Britain since the attacks on London in July 2005. Police and intelligence officers confirmed that there was a direct link between the Scottish attack and the attempted car bombing of London on Friday - confirming the reality of a renewed UK offensive by Islamist extremists.
    Last night the Prime Minister summoned intelligence chiefs and ministers before the Cobra emergency committee in Whitehall to discuss the deteriorating security situation. It was agreed to raise the threat level to the highest degree possible, a decision that confirmed another attack is expected imminently. In a televised address from Downing Street, a sombre-faced Brown urged people to be 'vigilant' and support the police and security services. He said: 'I know that the British people will stand together, united, resolute and strong.'
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I was thinking about these incidents as I drove today. I could be completely wrong (and yes, I know initial reports say that the events are connected) but both of these attempts seem poorly planned and not carried out in a very strategic manner.

My guess? These are rogue individuals sympathetic to organized terrorism but not directly tied to any organized terror groups. Just a thought...but like I said, I could be completely off here.
    Last edited by JDR; 07-01-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    I was thinking about these incidents as I drove today. I could be completely wrong (and yes, I know initial reports say that the events are connected) but both of these attempts seem poorly planned and not carried out in a very strategic manner.

My guess? These are rogue individuals sympathetic to organized terrorism but not directly tied to any organized terror groups. Just a thought...but like I said, I could be completely off here.
    I agree. Thankfully, they'll need to be much smarter or have the weapons to do massive damage.

Quote Originally Posted by JDR

That is a possibility but, if true, it could make life more difficult for the security forces. Small, badly planned attacks on random targets are harder to predict/defend yet they cause widespread panic and disruption......massive police presence at high profile events like the Diana concert mean they're unlikely/too difficult to be hit yet a packed nightclub in a smaller city may become a target.

God forbid they turn to suicide tactics. Yesterday's attack at Glasgow Airport seemed to falter on the fact that they got out of the car and we're overpowered trying to blow it up.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

They'd better eat their wheaties if they want to take on the Brits that way, then read their history books and re-think.

My money's on the Brits, every time. Your citizenry have an incredible history of "I say, old chap, bloody blitz, best send the children out of town, get underground and have a cup of tea." Prime Minister sleeping on a cot, secret decoder folks, freakin' RAF. I hope you take no offense when I say your people excel at long drawn-out wars.

Terrorist scum bastards might do some damage but they don't stand a chance in the long run. That's my opinion.

P.S. I also have an opinion about the French, also largely based on WWII. It's different.

terrorist bastards (x2, beth). crazy stuff Paul.

side note: go watch Live Free or Die Hard... just saw it tonight & it's awesome.

terrorist bastards (x2, beth). crazy stuff Paul.

side note: go watch Live Free or Die Hard... just saw it tonight & it's awesome.