Thread: Adjustable Bed & Insurance

Adjustable Bed & Insurance

Has anyone any suggestions on how to get medical insurance to pay for a full size adjustable bed or does anyone know of a full size adjustable bed that has a medical equipment code assigned to it?
    Blue Shield will provide a twin size hospital bed but my son needs a wider full size bed to do turns. The medical equipment vendors tell me that Blue Shield will not pay anything toward the purchase of a larger bed. It seems kind of silly to take the Blue Shield provided hospital bed that cost $1100 sell it for say $500 and then buy the bed my son needs.

Thanks

Roger

Does he really need a hospital bed? How about just buying him an adjustable bed (I have seen some good deals on Craig's List)? Unless he is very large and meets criteria for a bariatric bed, you are unlikely to find an insurance that will cover anything other than a hospital-sized bed. I work for the VA, and our vets get the best equipment, but we are not allowed to purchase anything but a hospital bed width, unless the person is large (generally over 300 lb.) enough to qualify for a bariatric bed.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Does he really need a hospital bed? How about just buying him an adjustable bed (I have seen some good deals on Craig's List)? Unless he is very large and meets criteria for a bariatric bed, you are unlikely to find an insurance that will cover anything other than a hospital-sized bed. I work for the VA, and our vets get the best equipment, but we are not allowed to purchase anything but a hospital bed width, unless the person is large (generally over 300 lb.) enough to qualify for a bariatric bed.

(KLD)
    Brian is ~150 lbs so he certainly would not qualify based on size. I was looking at Craigslist yesterday and found a Electropedic Model 9 adjustable bed for $350 but it needs a new mattress. I'm going to look at it today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Roger

Just be sure that you have a base that can be used with a mobile lift. A lot of adjustable beds have a box type platform frame and a lift cannot fit under it. You may not use one now but may need one down the road, so it is best to be able to accomodate that in your purchase.

(KLD)

I have a similar issue. I am currently using a hospital bed but would like to upgrade to something larger and less institutional. I have considered the regular automatic beds but as a c5/c6 quad, I find that the safety rails really are useful. I wouldn't even mind half-rails. The company Volker makes attractive beds but only in a twin or king. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I just got a queen Golden bed with the half-rails. If interested, go to http://www.goldenrest.com/ and see.

Good luck,
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne