Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Watermelon Thigh

Watermelon Thigh

Hey all. My thigh looks like a watermelon. It's the right one. I'm not even joking or exaggerating either. It's so swollen that when I got in my chair earlier my leg would not even bend enough to rest on the foot rest. The skin is so tight that it feels like it's going to pop and my knee looks like a beach ball. Also, I was only able to sit in the chair for about a minute before I started feeling really weak and nauseated and had to lie back down. Now I'm just sitting in bed with my laptop but it's at this ridiculous angle for lying across both of my legs because the one is so big. Also, I have been peeing myself all night, even when there is only about 25mL of urine in there, and usually I can hold about 600mL. It's more or less non-stop. What is wrong with me? Take your time, I'll just be here sitting in pee with my watermelon.
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

OMG ... you better get to the hospital quick. Redness and swelling could be a sign of infection .. too close to the other major organs, being that it's near the hip.

I don't mean to frighten you ... but I'm thinking broken hip or cellulitis infection. You haven't been out in the sun or anything?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Another possibility is a blood clot, but I don;t know if it would get that swollen that quickly. (I am assuming that yesterday it wasn't swollen, since you didnt mention it.) I agree .... you need to get medical attention. This isn;t a wait til monday morning sort of thing.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Janus, I forget the medical term but you may very well have a blockage of a major blood vessel in that leg. If so, the danger is that it may let go and lodge in your brain or heart. This can cause major damage and even rapid deterioration and death.

I echo the posters above in recommending that you get yourself to a hospital ER as soon as possible and I'm not joking.

Steve
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

my leg was red and swollen like that..BLOOD CLOT..i went to the ER..
    JUST GLAD TO BE ALIVE

Blood clot here as well (also known as DVT, deep vein thrombosis). My leg was swollen, not so much hot or red though, nonetheless it was a large clot. You really need to get swollen legs checked out as soon as possible! Clots can break loose from the legs and find their way to the lungs or brain, bad news! Good luck.

DVT is a definite possibility, as is cellulitis (an infection of the soft tissue). You also could have a fractured femur. All are problems that occur frequently in SCI, and both should take you immediately, with no delay, to the ER. Do not wait for the weekend. Go NOW!!

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Janus
    Hey all. My thigh looks like a watermelon. It's the right one. I'm not even joking or exaggerating either. It's so swollen that when I got in my chair earlier my leg would not even bend enough to rest on the foot rest. The skin is so tight that it feels like it's going to pop and my knee looks like a beach ball. Also, I was only able to sit in the chair for about a minute before I started feeling really weak and nauseated and had to lie back down. Now I'm just sitting in bed with my laptop but it's at this ridiculous angle for lying across both of my legs because the one is so big. Also, I have been peeing myself all night, even when there is only about 25mL of urine in there, and usually I can hold about 600mL. It's more or less non-stop. What is wrong with me? Take your time, I'll just be here sitting in pee with my watermelon.
    Hi Janus,

Hopefully you're not here but at the ER or checked into a hospital. My left leg once swelled up as you described but it was after the bone above my knee snapped in two (supracondylar femur fracture) from falling outta my wheelchair. It also turned black and blue. So more than likely you either broke your femur and don't know it or you have DVT. In any event you need immediate medical care.

You're only holding 25mls of urine because your body is trying to tell you that it's in trouble. A type of AD (autonomic dysreflexia) that's making your bladder spasm.

Good luck.... please keep us informed.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I know CareCure is helpful but FFS. If you severed an artery would you sit there posting 'my life is slowly ebbing away, I can't believe the height the arc of spouting blood can achieve, my wife will go mad about the curtains'.

At what point did posting and waiting for an answer seem smarter than going to hospital?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    I know CareCure is helpful but FFS. If you severed an artery would you sit there posting 'my life is slowly ebbing away, I can't believe the height the arc of spouting blood can achieve, my wife will go mad about the curtains'.

At what point did posting and waiting for an answer seem smarter than going to hospital?
    I think that's a little unfair. Sometimes people know something's seriously wrong, but the fear of going to hospital is enormous.
    Some people need to be pushed into it by others...like on this thread.