Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    a friend bought one friday; i fiddled around w/ it today. it's definitely nice, quad-friendly, & has a super slick interface, but i just can't see dropping $600 on one right now. it does have a few missing features that should show up w/ updates, plus the dumb things are 100% locked until activated.

you can buy 4 blackberry pearls for the same amount... i have no intention of replacing my bb anytime soon... love it.
    Scott,

I agree with you, even though I am now carrying four cell phones: a Blackberry 8700 (T-mobile) for world-wide email, a old Samsung Sprint cell phone for the US (because T-mobile doesn't reach into my lab for some reason), a Motorola Razr cell phone for Hong Kong, and a Nokia with a China Mobile sim card for when I am in China.

It is a pain to carry so many phones but I prefer carrying an extra cell phone than to opening up the back of one cell phones and constantly changing sim chips. Fortunately, three of the cell phones use the same charger and so I only have to carry two chargers. All the phones are on digital roaming and I can tell when somebody from Hong Kong or China is trying to get a hold of me. I usually carry the blackberry and a local cell phone on my belt and the other two in my backpack.

The best of all words would of course be a cell phone that can access multiple sim chips all over the world. That would be my version of the ideal cell phone. I don't care so much about the other features (except for email) because I always have my computer anyway. The iPhone is not good enough to replace my Mac powerbook. I can't put multiple sim chips in it. The last thing that I need is another service provider and bill to pay.

What other things could the iPhone supplant? Well, in addition to the four cell phones, I also carry a powerbook, an iPod, a camera, an Irex Iliad (a book tablet), and the associated chargers and other paraphernalia that goes with these I suppose that I can use the iPhone to carry the latest podcasts (what I usually use my iPod for when I am travelling). Since I have to carry my computer, it holds the rest of my music. I would retire my iPod to being the source of music for my stereo. The iPhone camera will not be able to substitute for my digital camera (a Kodak with a 12x zoom lens). It would not supplant the Iliad.

So, in the end, getting the iPhone would reduce my cell phone load down to three and allow me to leave my iPod at home. That's about it. It is not enough for me to jump ship from the Blackberry. In any case, I have to wait until 2008 when the Asian version of iPhone comes out because I anticipate that I will be continuing to travel to Asia a lot in the coming years. My blackberry T-mobile service is available in all the major cities in China (with a few exceptions), Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia, Singapore, and all of Europe. There are several surprising places where I cannot get Blackberry service: Xi'an, Beijing, Seoul, and Japan.

Wise.

Another big thing is the camera.... I've heard of alot of industries that do NOT allow cameras on their premises to thwart (hehe, i said thwart) spying, and that includes camera phones.

So, with the Iphone to be your Crackberry replacement, you'd be SOL if you had to go to one of theses places.

Dr. Young... hope you get a bulk discount on phone rates!

well Wise, you sure are connected.

Patonb, the Blackberry 8100 & 8300 models have built-in cameras.

I'm very interested in getting of one these, but I will wait for the next generation before getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    well Wise, you sure are connected.

Patonb, the Blackberry 8100 & 8300 models have built-in cameras.
    Yes but ALL the Iphones have camera!

Sorry, didn't want to get showed up... Don't really know tons about crackberries... Hell my phones from 6yrs ago... it has a CACULATOR!

Dr. Young I think you just talked me out of getting an iPhone.

With my Treo I can connect to the Internet, then do dial-up networking from my laptop to the Treo, in essence getting internet connectivity through my phone. Not too bad speed, just under ISDN. Does anyone know if such a think is possible with the iPhone? That might tip the scales for me, assuming the signal was strong where I live and the price was right (sadly, no DSL or Cable where I live.)

Here is a favorable review of the iPhone but one that lists ten mistakes made in its design
    http://rake.sh/blog/2007/07/02/top-1...one-interface/

1. No contact search.
    2. SMS not a main function
    3. Calendar entry requires extra clicks
    4. Rotating screen doesn't always work
    5. Once into the Maps, you can't back out without entering an address
    6. No period on the front virtual keyboard, requires a shift.
    7. Entering text in safari doesn't work reliably.
    8. No emoticon on the keyboard
    9. Cursor control in a pain
    10. No character count in SMS program

#7 seven seems to be pretty serious to me. This means that I won't be able to use the iPhone to enter posts into CareCure. Of the videos that I have seen, most people's fingers are too big for the virtual keyboard. I am not sure how efficient it would be to type long messages. I have gotten really good on my blackberry.

Wise.

#8 Oh no ... No emoticons.......... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

for the record... that was sarcasm

The ever increasing no stick use does it for me. I use a PowerBook as well, but I'm still waiting for the day when a device can use finger or mouth stick with no adaptations.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.