Thread: resume job app question

resume job app question

I am out looking for jobs often. I have only worked at Walmart since my injury just to get out some.
    Now that I am getting more serious I am having a hard time with the question - Reason for leaving last position. What do you put? One had a section please describe reasons for gaps in employment. I am always leery of stating my paralysis or wheelchair use before meting people but what do you put? I have a dgree in business/finance but never used it since I became an EMT instead. This is also hindering me even though I have business skills and consider myself intelligent.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Be as vague as possible on the written application. You can put "health reasons" for example when asked about breaks in employment or why you left your last job. If the reason you left your Walmart job was to pursue more opportunities, then say that.

Be prepared to address this in an interview if they want more information, but of course be clear that you are NOT required to tell what your disability in either an application or interview. Questions can only address your ability to do the job and any accomodations you might need.

(KLD)

I agree with KLD. Regarding finance vs EMS,you can list "shift in career focus". When leaving a job like WalMart, career advancement,etc is a reasonable thing to put down.

One thing that I often suggest to folks that have carreer or "speciality" gaps is that you take a class or too to refresh your skills and broaden your knowledge. Go to VR and tell them that your break in employment is making it difficult to find employment. Once I applied for a low leveljob as a "job coach" This was post injury and post children. I had held other jobs between. I was turned down because my employment and experience was not current. Reality was it wasmy disability because I had more education and training than the guy who refused me the second interview.

In the interium,volunteer,show a full and active life.
    Every day I wake up is a good one