Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview no-shows

dont worry guys i spent 36.000 $ regarding my malpractice case ....i lost ? i dont think so ......
    Last edited by adi chicago; 06-30-2007 at 09:22 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    hapahouli, congratulations. You just managed to insult both African Americans and women in one short post!!!

(KLD)
    Oh my god, are you serious?

That's like telling someone who makes a 'Mr. Clean' joke is insulting 'European Americans' and men.

KLD, did you ever stop and think that maybe the lady actually looked like the large black woman on the syrup bottle?
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

If I were a potential care giver, I would probably skim right over the high quad classifieds. Right or wrong, I'd do just about anything for $9/hr before I committed to the daily perceived daily chores. Have you offered a list of exactly what it is you need help with? I'd bet on you that you will get transfers/sitting up in bed down.

Hap brings up the other point. Anyone willing to piece together a schedule and assist with bodily functions etc for $9/hr is either an angel or shady.

Just thought I'd let you know that I have put ads on craigslist in our Tampa area and received good results and it is free, at least in Tampa it is (for now). As far as the no shows that won't change but just wanted to tell you of an inexpensive way to search for a caregiver so at least you won't have to pay to advertise for no shows.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic
    If I were a potential care giver, I would probably skim right over the high quad classifieds. Right or wrong, I'd do just about anything for $9/hr before I committed to the daily perceived daily chores. Have you offered a list of exactly what it is you need help with? I'd bet on you that you will get transfers/sitting up in bed down.

Hap brings up the other point. Anyone willing to piece together a schedule and assist with bodily functions etc for $9/hr is either an angel or shady.
    Or a student. Depends on where you live, around here $9/hour is not bad - better than McDonald's!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I'm glad when they dont show for the interview. Saves me from firing them when they don't show up for the job.

I had the same problem with IHSS (In-Home Supportive Services). Of course, that was when I was still on Medicare/Medi-Cal.

Then I finally got a nursing agency, and would have a lot of the same problems: a CNA once attached a leg bag so tight to my leg that, four hours later, my foot was purple!

I've posted help wanted ads at local hospitals, at local colleges, Western Career College, Craig's list... Craig's list, here in the California Bay Area, costs $75 a posting.

And people don't show up. The last time I was hiring, 30 telephone interviews, 4 people who showed up. Two of them were definite no-no's (don't bring someone with you when you're trying to get a job); I ended up hiring someone who also worked at a nursing home.

I guess I've been lucky.

People no show all time, it's pathetic. What I do that has cut way back on the number of no-shows is I have them call me back to confirm. That puts the onus on them. So say it's a Monday and people are calling about the ad I have in the paper. I set up an interview w/ them on Wednesday. I tell them to call me Tuesday to confirm the appt.

This works well b/c they don't have to tell it straight to you that they aren't interested in the job. Instead, they just don't bother calling back, so they save face. This technique has worked very well for me.

I've had really good luck using Craig's list and MySpace with the topic of dependable caregiver needed. Here is a quote of my ad:
    Caregiver needed for a 29-year-old C-5 male
    quadriplegic. Job duties would include cooking,
    cleaning, helping me with my daily living activities,
    driving, and basically being my fingers when I need
    things done. I try to keep things simple and little bit
    fun.
    Requirements would be dependability, dependability, and
    a general good nature, and oh yeah, did I mention
    dependability. Also, dependable transportation and
    fluent English are a must. Experience would help but is
    not necessary.
    The hours I'm looking to fill would be on Monday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. which pays $9 per hour and I need to fill this position BY MONDAY.
    If this job interests you send me an e-mail with your phone number so I may contact you right away. If you have any experience, please note that also
    I'm located in North Scottsdale around Scottsdale and
    cactus roads
    and I've never had a no-show.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by hapahouli
    jb,

Thanks for sharing. Hang in there and don't get desperate! I once went through an agency(for a morning shift only!) and they sent over Aunt Jemima, no kidding. She had little knowledge of ROM, going through Menapause, sweating profusely, had to redo her make up 3 times, no clue how to cath, and the agency charged me $23/hr! I'll never use an agency again!Danny
    Consider yourself lucky because in Australia the agency rate starts from 32.90 AUD( ~ 28 ~USD) per hr & that is for a PCA that will not do your ROM , cath you ,do your bowel care or clean your house.
    Will shower, dress & feed (must have meals already prepared).
    For ROM, cath , bowel care an enrolled nurse is suitable & rate starts from 43 AUD p/hr pending on experience.