Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this possible? Nurses & Docs?

Is this possible? Nurses & Docs?

My son was hospitalized the first of May with disreflexia/UTI/whoknows. I say who knows because he has never had to be hospitalized for a UTI, it was the pain we went in for. We took him in thru the ER and then he was admitted. In the ER they put a foley in him. He has had many foleys but we normally do IC's.

The foley was removed upon discharge and he has tested negative for a UTI. However, he cannot hold more than 200 ccs before he leaks now.

Is it possible that this last foley somehow when inserted or otherwise damaged his sphincter muscle? His meds include detrol la 4 mg but since this last incident, it no longer makes a difference.

His renal ultrasound showed great kidneys and no problems.

Thanks for any comments
    Cj's Mom

Quote Originally Posted by tburnett1105
    My son was hospitalized the first of May with disreflexia/UTI/whoknows. I say who knows because he has never had to be hospitalized for a UTI, it was the pain we went in for. We took him in thru the ER and then he was admitted. In the ER they put a foley in him. He has had many foleys but we normally do IC's.

The foley was removed upon discharge and he has tested negative for a UTI. However, he cannot hold more than 200 ccs before he leaks now.

Is it possible that this last foley somehow when inserted or otherwise damaged his sphincter muscle? His meds include detrol la 4 mg but since this last incident, it no longer makes a difference.

His renal ultrasound showed great kidneys and no problems.

Thanks for any comments

tburnett1105,

How long was you son in the hospital? If it was for more a week and he had the foley in during all this time, this suggests that his bladder shrank (due to spasticity). The bladder shrinks when he is taken off anti-spasticity meds and when it is being drained all the time. What dose of ditropan (or whatever anti-spasticity medication for the bladder) is he taking? Is it higher or lower than before? It is possible that he needs a higher dose. It takes time to rebuild the bladder capacity.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    tburnett1105,

How long was you son in the hospital? If it was for more a week and he had the foley in during all this time, this suggests that his bladder shrank (due to spasticity). The bladder shrinks when he is taken off anti-spasticity meds and when it is being drained all the time. What dose of ditropan (or whatever anti-spasticity medication for the bladder) is he taking? Is it higher or lower than before? It is possible that he needs a higher dose. It takes time to rebuild the bladder capacity.

Wise.
    He was in for 3 days and all his meds were continued while he was in patient. IF his bladder did shrink can or will it expand again?

IS it a possibility that the sphincter was damaged though?
    Cj's Mom

It is unlikely that his sphincter was damaged unless he had a very traumatic difficult insertion, and generally there is significant bleeding associated with this. It is more likely that his bladder is still recovering from the UTI. When you say his urine was tested, when was this? Has it been since he came home? If not, then it should be done again. Insertion of a foley in the hospital is a great way to get an iatrogenic infection, and the culture may be initially negative, but become positive. You need to call his urologist now.

(KLD)

We leave for Shriners in Philly Sunday, they'll see him then and are aware of the problem. Thanks for all of your input
    Cj's Mom

Thumbs down I hate Foleys

My bladder empties when it wants to. I have had too many surgeries in the last three years. The nurses like a Foley in post operatively so it is easy to keep track of the urine output. I am a Registered Nurse and that is the only reason I can think of (or they are just to damn lazy). I had to call for a supervisor and a doctor to get the foley out when they replaced my knee. If I have a catheter in for more than 24 hours, when it comes out I have to pee little dribbles every 45 minutes. The longer it is in the longer the recovery time will be. When a Foley comes out, it takes lots of accidents and a couple of weeks before my bladder calms down and is willing to hold more than a couple of ounces. Over time my bladder gets back to "normal"- peeing less often and accidents less often.

Quote Originally Posted by Brog
    My bladder empties when it wants to. I have had too many surgeries in the last three years. The nurses like a Foley in post operatively so it is easy to keep track of the urine output. I am a Registered Nurse and that is the only reason I can think of (or they are just to damn lazy). I had to call for a supervisor and a doctor to get the foley out when they replaced my knee. If I have a catheter in for more than 24 hours, when it comes out I have to pee little dribbles every 45 minutes. The longer it is in the longer the recovery time will be. When a Foley comes out, it takes lots of accidents and a couple of weeks before my bladder calms down and is willing to hold more than a couple of ounces. Over time my bladder gets back to "normal"- peeing less often and accidents less often.
    Brog, thanks for your post. I think that it may be useful for people here to post their experience with foley's. When they get a foley placed, how long dos it take for people to get a small bladder volume? How long does it take to recover. How have they dealt with this problem? Do they increase their ditropan (bladder anti-spasticity drug)? This must be a common problem.

Wise.

I had a UTI about a month ago and am having this same problem. Before I got the UTI my bladder would hold up to 600 ccs., since it cleared up I'm leaking at around 280 - 300 ccs. I was wondering if I should go up on my Ditropan. I'm currently taking a 15mg XL once a day, but my bladder doesn't seem to be increasing it's capacity. Hopefully others will have suggestions on how to get things back to normal.
    "There's too many things to get done, and I'm running out of days" 3 Doors Down

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Brog, thanks for your post. I think that it may be useful for people here to post their experience with foley's. When they get a foley placed, how long dos it take for people to get a small bladder volume? How long does it take to recover. How have they dealt with this problem? Do they increase their ditropan (bladder anti-spasticity drug)? This must be a common problem.

Wise.
    as i remember from my experience ...i had serious severe ad using a foley ...i asked ...remove the foley please.they asked why? ..i told them,,,,, check my blood presure please ...AD.i almost died.the same day 3 hrs after i had a foley.is hard to do ic for some qualif...staff.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 06-30-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

foley is easy to be used by lazy medical staff.to do ic is kind of hard for them.time and money.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."