Thread: Cross Country Move???

Cross Country Move???

Has anyone here ever decided to make a cross country move for a job?

I am contemplating...actually I turned down an interview today for a place in Montana because I would have been taking a cut in pay. I actually am in the process of another interview.

How long does it take an employer to arrange a cross country trip (at their expense) to visit and interview? I have already had a phone interview and been asked if I would come out to see the town and place of employment. So I want them to hurry up.....LOL I am trying to be patient but patience is hard!!!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I'm going through the same situation. I'm quite scared of venturing out of my safe little world.

Does rural Kansas to Houston count? It was quite a culture shock, but I was with my family so that is different.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    Has anyone here ever decided to make a cross country move for a job?
    When my first husband and I split up, I moved from Los Angelese to Miami. Drastic change from suburban life to city living. I lived alone for the first time in my life too. It was exciting to do something different. Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of change, but I'd recommend a radical move at least once in everyone's life.

How long does it take an employer to arrange a cross country trip (at their expense) to visit and interview?
    That, I don't know. I paid for my move on my own and then found a job.

C.

How long does it take an employer to arrange a cross country trip (at their expense) to visit and interview? I have already had a phone interview and been asked if I would come out to see the town and place of employment. So I want them to hurry up.....LOL I am trying to be patient but patience is hard!!!!!!
    I've had interviews where they've flown me out for the face-to-face as quick as 2-3 days, but usually it's a couple weeks at the earliest before all the arrangements are made.
    Daniel

Where at? I want to apply just to get the trip. Seriously go for it. If my kids were bigger and I could move them no way would I be here.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I moved from Michigan to Massachusetts about a year and a half ago, completely alone, for a job. I agree with the previous poster who said everyone should make one drastic move in their life.

I'm not sure, if given the opportunity to go back in time, that I would do it again. It's been a lot harder than I thought to be out here without my informal support system. And while I have met many people, it is hard to make real friends when life revolves around work.

But I have learned A LOT about myself, and about what I am capable of. I always knew I could do just about anything. I just didn't know that I could still do all those things 600 miles away from home.

Should you do it? Hell, I don't know... But will you grow as a person? Oh yes.

Good luck!
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Okay I got brave and called the potential employer and they are waiting on my return of an application they mailed me. They are going to check references and then I am flying out there. She sounds really interested....So I am a bit excited AGAIN....LOL I guess I should let my current employer know so they are not blindsided by the reference check...LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Okay I got brave and called the potential employer and they are waiting on my return of an application they mailed me.
    Woohoo! Good luck with this!

C.