Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to ship a power chair?

How to ship a power chair?

Let's say you wanted to have a power chair shipped from the east coast to the west coast. You didn't want to spend a ton of money, yet you wanted to feel like it would be shipped safely. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon
    Let's say you wanted to have a power chair shipped from the east coast to the west coast. You didn't want to spend a ton of money, yet you wanted to feel like it would be shipped safely. Any ideas on the best way to do this?
    I'm not sure what constitutes a ton of money, but shipping by truck is the typical way. It would have to be crated. If you know someone who has a business and does a lot of shipping would probably be the cheapest if you go through them.

https://www.freight101.com/faqs.php

Blog Entries
    When I bought my Bounder Plus off ebay, he shipped it from Idaho to east Tn by standard freight(big truck). It was just strapped to a pallet, wrapped with saran wrap(can't think of the name,lol) had a cardboard box taped around the outside and that was it. The battery cables were disconnected.
    I backed my truck up to the trailer, he 0ff-ramped it into the bed and I drove into the driveway and unloaded it myself. There was zero damage.

Thanks for the link Rusty. It should be helpful.

Capn, do you know if the guy you bought it from packaged it up himself, or did the shipping company do it? I'm assuming the shipping companies would be willing to pack it up (for a fee of course), yes? And I assume that I can get shipping insurance... I hope.

It's an iBOT that I want shipped, and I'm kinda worried about the shipping part of it. If damage happens, I have to pay for a specially trained tech to come fix it. Repairs could be expensive considering there aren't a lot of iBOTs out there.

Shannon, you could always hire a driver to ride the wheelchair cross country just kidding. Seriously, how about if they left out the batteries which weight the most and just UPS the Chair after breaking it down? and then you have help putting it back together? I would think that would be the cheapest way. Thats the way its normally done with Handcycles as much of a pain it is to put them together.

Hi Shannon, Shipping insurance is inexpensive and a must have. It's absolutely essential for any valuable piece of equipment. I doubt a reputable shipper would allow you to not have it. Especially for an iBot.
    Insurance would cover any and all repairs due to damage caused during shipping.

Okey doke. Thanks!

Shannon - You go ta IBOT? Yay for you!!! I am so happy for you.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Thanks Addie! I'm very excited! It's only slightly used, but I'm getting it for less than half the cost of a new one.

I can't believe this is actually happening.

Where???? ebay?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.