Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we deserve money from the government?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do we deserve money from the government?

I've wondered quite a bit about this. For a time I received a check every month for about $600. I took it, but my attitude was that if I got a letter one day that said "no more dough, too bad so sad" I would have no right to be upset.

I've thought about this with regard specifically to high quads too. Do you ever feel like nobody is under any obligation to care for you? Or do you feel like you are entitled to all the care you get?
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

I see it like this. They'll pay people who are gainfully unemployed, revel in their unemployed status and flaunt around like jackass's....so they can pay me too. Im not independantly wealthy, nor do I make squillions of dollars per annum

What about the elderly? Gotta give them something, they dont have an active income

I had troubles getting a disability payment because I "wasn't disabled enough" which I found amusing because the town drunk down the street was on the same payment because "she couldnt help it"....no one forces her to drink excessively

On a side note...I'd enjoy seeing a government letter that says 'too bad so sad' capped with a 'lol' at the end

quote:
    [I had troubles getting a disability payment because I "wasn't disabled enough" which I found amusing because the town drunk down the street was on the same payment because "she couldnt help it"....no one forces her to drink excessively].

I know what you mean it really pisses me off big time especially here in the UK, alot of people have never worked in their lives and are on all sorts of money and also loads of imagrants (sp) get houses which are paid for and money every week. It does my head in coz people who really need it cant.
    I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past, so one way to get the most out of life is to look at it as an adventure.

Janus I would rather my money goes to someone who is genuinely disabled then what Gendo said - those who could be considered 'normal' and flaunt it and there are lots of them. David gets so upset when he meets someone with 'more than me' physically who is on assistance. My very own niece who just went through a bipolar diagnosis - I have come to terms with the fact that she may be on assistance the rest of her life and she is only 22yrs old. I'm glad those programs are there for her. Is that my tax money well spent? Definately! Her parents: my sister and her husband, have been both working since they were 14yrs old! By golly their tax dollars outta help their own daughter!

I think of it this way: It's not your fault that medicine hasn't come up with something better to make you better. 'The people' will pay for that until 'the people' decide that's a priority.

Don't forget about your family; parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, siblings, cousins, friends, people who know you and all work/have worked ... who pay/paid for their taxes. Would they want it to help you? Of course they would! Don't feel the least bit bad. Do you not pay taxes when you buy something, anything every day? In Canada we pay PST/GST which adds up to 15% in Ontario alone. I gross something just under $1000/wk but take home something between $600-$700 per week. The rest is income taxes, employment insurance, Canada Pension plan, union dues and pension. Then I'm taxed when I buy David's coffee and my tea on the way home from work!

Nope, I hope those programs are there if I ever feel I should need it. Michael Moore's film Sicko kind of touches on this ... how Canadians feel about paying high taxes and the person responded with the same way I feel: We hope it's there for someone who needs it.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 06-26-2007 at 05:31 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'll try to keep this one short b/c I tend to ramble too much.

In a word, NO I don't feel like anyone is obligated to pay me a welfare check (but, but.....). My feelings stem from the fact I used to be on SSI for many years as a child (deaf) and therefore not being allowed to work (my grandparents claimed I needed to concentrate more on classes in college, and look what happened). Then when eventually DID start working, much too late I might add, I got shut off. That part I didn't mind, but I came to realize i'd done myself a great disservice.

BUT..........

Some of us don't have a choice in needing all the care we can get. Period. I'm not one of those, but many here are. I was thinking and some ideas have half formed. I don't favor nationalized health care aka Canada and the UK, but damn if our system ain't screwed up costs wise too. Not having insurance is fine and dandy if youre young, employed, and healthy. But if you're severely disabled, then you're going to need a lot more resources and money than what you probably make to survive.

So then, here's what I'm thinking. add to it as the thread goes along.

-We need to have health care (medicaid, etc) and be able to work as much as we need to.
    - we need to find a way to avoid abuse of this system and encourage healthy adults to obtain and pay for their own health care until such time and circumstance as we can no longer do so, becoming eligible for this heath care.
    - In a nutshell, we need to increase the proportion the work force pays for its disabled and minor individuals with disabilities or children of disabled indiviuals.
    - Shift revenues and resources towards those who can't pay for their own health care.

There's a lot I'm missing and of course there's a big fuzzy line between who's disabled and needs assistance and who can pay for their own care. Take my own example.........for me, maintenance care is actually fairly cheap, except my insulin (expensive). Catheters and supplies, not too expensive either. BUT if I get sick and end up in hospital, thats expensive. We need to figure out how to pay our own maintenance care provided its affordable and have some sort of insurance 'safety net' for those pricey hospital stays.

Feel free to add your ideas, after all I'm just throwing some of this out there.

Tom

Tom lives in Utopia; just kidding Tom. lol

Defination of disability has a lot to do with the problems in my opinion - such a grey area.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Tom lives in Utopia; just kidding Tom. lol

Defination of disability has a lot to do with the problems in my opinion - such a grey area.
    LOL, no I'm afraid I live in Misery, not Missouri, not utopia. And right now I am in misery, suspect I may have either a stress fracture or blood clot on or near the side of the ball of my right foot. God, it hurts! been having a lot of swelling for quite sometime of both my legs and feet, and sitting here at this stupid computer like I do all night really makes ita lot worse. I think I had my right shoe on too tight at work on Sunday and something happened. Needless to say, I'm REAL worried. Yet, being uninsured, I'm in a bad spot. If it really is a blood clot then you know how serious (and expensive) that'll be. But the alternative could be a lot worse.

I agree with you on the gray area. where to draw the line? I guess I shoulda known better than to think we can ever have our cake and eat it too, but the throbbing foot is really making it hard to think.

Bob Clark, agree with ya too. We're all paying into a system already, yet it signally fails to deliver where its most desperately needed. Kinda wish we could just somehow wipe the slate clean (maybe thats why I was rambling above) and see if we couldn't start of fresh. Hell it could hardly be worse as it is now!

I'm gonna lie down and prop this leg up. I've drank too much fluids lately and need to let my kidneys clear some of this swelling, maybe that'll help....

Tom

I entered into a contract with the US government and paid my FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) taxes (7 & 1/2% of my paycheck) for 6 long, hard, freezing cold and sweltering hot years of working the swingshift on the railroad in a steel mill and earned my monthly SSDI check and Medicare. Oh, and when I was hired there on my 18th birthday the interviewer and I were both smoking so I don't wanna hear crap from them about the cost of smoking on "the system". It takes both parties to change the terms of a contract.

And the new Part D prescription drug plan is nothing more than Bush's (via the taxpayers) gift to Big Pharma. I didn't ask for it and it actually costs me money. The bastard.

It doesn't give me a damn thing, I earned whatever pawtry "benefits" I receive.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    I entered into a contract with the US government and paid my FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) taxes (7 & 1/2% of my paycheck) for 6 long, hard, freezing cold and sweltering hot years of working the swingshift on the railroad in a steel mill and earned my monthly SSDI check and Medicare. Oh, and when I was hired there on my 18th birthday the interviewer and I were both smoking so I don't wanna hear crap from them about the cost of smoking on "the system". It takes both parties to change the terms of a contract.

And the new Part D prescription drug plan is nothing more than Bush's (via the taxpayers) gift to Big Pharma. I didn't ask for it and it actually costs me money. The bastard.

It doesn't give me a damn thing, I earned whatever pawtry "benefits" I receive.

Bob.
    I totally agree with Bob. If you paid into the system, you should be able to receive the benefits.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    I entered into a contract with the US government and paid my FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) taxes (7 & 1/2% of my paycheck)
    Bob.
    moraq about fivca
    if you were an employee's your employer matched your contributions to for ra total of 15 % fica
    if yo were self employed then you would pay the full 15% into the system yourself.
    the other down side to self employed is you get the same exact payout as the employees who puts in half as much as the self employed.
    cauda equina