Thread: Hand Controls, how long do they last?

Hand Controls, how long do they last?

I guess what i am asking is what would be a safe lifespan for a set of hand controls? Ive had the same ones for 11 years now, thinking maybe i should get a new set just to avoid any potential problems.

How long have yours last for, do you routinely get a new set every so often?

What kind of controls do you have Anna? some controls will last a lifetime, others not. I might not recognise what kind you have anyhow as they may be austrialian, but somebody else may know something about them. Maybe show a website or picture of them.

I've had my Monarch Mark IV's for 20 plus years. replaced a few small parts & that's it.

I used a set of Drivemaster controls for 30 years.

most hand controls never really wear out, so there is not a lot to worry about in that aspect. Sometimes by going with new ones and newer techology it is a change for better though. Installation also is an important factor as far as usability, are they at the proper angles of height and distance and throw etc.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 06-26-2007 at 10:37 PM.

mpds last forever. i have several sets. lube every so often your good
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks all...i checked to see if i could see a brand, but zilch. They seem to be slightly sticking at the moment, so I'll make sure they get some lube in the near future.

Mine are 14 and still fine. I just spray wd-40 on the piviot points when I hear squeaks or if the control feels tight. I think they are Monarchs (They came on a used vehicle).

They should last A VERY, VERY LONG TIME. I'd suggest you have them serviced once a year or so to make sure nothing is about to fall off.