Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High quads, how do you sleep?

High quads, how do you sleep?

I think I'm taking a cue from ADI here, but just wondering on this.

As long as I can remember, which has always been SCI, I have slept with a pillow and/or blanket completely over my head. The few other high quads I know well enough to know their sleeping habits do the same, but they were also injured as children.

So, is this a common thing for those injured later in life? If it is, any guesses as to why this might be?
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Interesting you would ask this question because I had a conversation with a high quad who was peer counselling me in rehab about this exact thing. He had been injured at age seven and always slept with a heavy blanket over his head. He wasn't sure why he did it, but he had been doing it as long as he had been injured. The conversation came up when my rehab nurses were trying to think of ways to help me sleep better.

I also need to have a blanket over my head when I sleep. I use an afghan blanket that my grandmother knitted for me. It has holes in it so I don't get too hot, but it is solid enough that it meets my needs of having my head and face completely covered--which seems to be the only way I can sleep.

In my case though, I used to sleep with something over my head and face even before I was injured, as far back I can remember. I don't know why I began sleeping this way. I read an article once that speculated childhood trauma could be the cause for some adults who sleep this way, but I don't know how true that is. It does make sense in a way, so I am not discounting it. For the first few months in rehab I never thought of it and never asked to have my head covered, and I had terrible trouble getting any sleep. Once I began covering my head again, my sleep improved. Not a whole lot, but much better than before.

Anyways it is an interesting question.

The only time I sleep with the covers over my head is when I'm cold and when I do I sleep really good.

funny, last night i slept with just a blanket on my face and the rest of my body was uncovered. i do not remember sleeping like this pre-SCI, but i now always cover my head.
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

I sleep with a blanket over my head too. it helps keeps them on me if I turn in bed.

Bizarre!! Chad does this and when I first met him it totally fuh-reeked me out. Now I'm used to it, but I still think its weird. However, if he doesn't have his face covered, he can't sleep. Hmmmmmm.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Interesting, I do this now and never had done it before. I have never been able to sleep with blankets or anything right in my face, can't breathe(I have claustraphobia(close enough)). I do however; sleep with my pillow over my head. I can not use any old pillow either, this is one I made and added a cervical pillow to it. I do not know why I do it but I havee done it I think, even while in the hospital. Odd, that others with high injuries also do this too. My dd also does this for some reason, maybe copying mommy. I have to use pillows on both sides also, I think maybe that is because they help keep me "stable" and help give me something to grab to turn.
    "I've got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

I sleep with a cloth napkin over my face.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

This is just a theory. But when people sleep wrapped in covers it can be for security not just warmth. (I am AB, but I must have a cover on me up to my neck, even in hot weather.) So I am thinking that most high cervical injuries involve loss of sensation as well. So if you can't feel the covers on your body, it doesn't give you that feeling of security, but you can feel it on your face and head. What do you think? Just a theory...

Kev has to have as little on him as possible (only a light sheet since the weather is soo warm ) & nothing on his head but in hospital he had to cover his head ,so Ginamarie's theory makes sense (cover head feel secure) to me.