Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to take advantage of free trial of Photoshop

trying to take advantage of free trial of Photoshop

I downloaded Adobe PhotoshopCS3 for a 30 day free trial. It seems to have downloaded successfully. When I go to "setup" it says it requires my password. When I click on the "?", it says:

The user account you created when you set up Mac OS X is also the computer's administrator. There may be additional administrator accounts created on the computer, depending on how it was set up.

To complete some tasks, you need to authenticate by entering an administrator name and password. In some circumstances you may need to enter a smart card and personal identification number or use some other method of authentication. This is necessary because some actions can reduce the security of your computer and your files. You should always be sure you know which application requests that you enter this information.

If you don't know the user name and password for an administrator, ask the person who administers your computer for help. If you set up the original user account but don't remember the password, you can use the Mac OS X Install disc to reset it.

---------------------

Install disc? I don't remember an install disc. Any suggestions? I'm lost.

All I can tell you is don't expect to be productive with that trial version. I tried the trial of Illustrator once. It let me produce perfect work, until I tried to save. The trial version corrupts all saved files. Took forever to figure out why no banner shops could read my files!

Adobe bastards. They have that "no freeloader" thing down pat.

They've also got the anti-piricey thing down too. Like games, only 1 serial of the program can bed run... and it has to be the same machine.

actually the trial versions are fully functional for 30 days; I'm at the tail end of the period for Flash CS3 & haven't found any limitations whatsoever.

Shannon - the install script is asking for your OS X administrator user/password. This has nothing to do with Photoshop.

Anyone know of a good free place that can teach you how to use Photoshop? I cant seem to get beyond basic Microsoft Office cropping and resizing of photos, pretty clueless how to properly use Photoshop. I have a nice bootleg of 7.0, wish I knew how to use it...help!

GIMP is a free download that is supposed to be a good alternative to PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Anyone know of a good free place that can teach you how to use Photoshop? I cant seem to get beyond basic Microsoft Office cropping and resizing of photos, pretty clueless how to properly use Photoshop. I have a nice bootleg of 7.0, wish I knew how to use it...help!
    That really depends what you want to do w/ PS. Photo manipulation... um... I dunno off the top of my head, but try reading through some threads here for starters & just start playing w/ some files: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1006

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    GIMP is a free download that is supposed to be a good alternative to PS.
    I spent a good amount of time tinkering with Gimp recently; it lacks a LOT of features that Photoshop has, but for general use it's not bad. Supposedly you can add plugins, etc., but I'm not too impressed, aside from the part about it being free.

Then again I use PS on a professional level (i.e. making $$$ w/ it), so the price is moot. Actually I never paid full price... started w/ an academic version & just kept upgrading from there (~ $150/ea).

Ahh, the camera site, you'd think they might have people using PS. Good idea, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett

Shannon - the install script is asking for your OS X administrator user/password. This has nothing to do with Photoshop.
    Yeah, I know, that's what I'm having trouble with! I have no idea what my password is or how to find it.

Assuming this computer was brand new when you started using it, the password is something you had to set during the initial setup. I'm not sure there's an easy way to *find* an admin password within OS X, as that'd be a pretty big security problem.

Boot up from the OS X install disc & there should be something in the menu to reset the password, IIRC.