Thread: Drobo

Drobo

so I just read a review of a pretty neat external storage system called Drobo. I have gigs upon gigs of photos/media that I've archived over the years for work, enough so that I'm close to a comfortable capacity (leaving enough space to work with for scratch disks, apps, etc) on three hard drives (totalling 750gb) after making copies of all my critical folders on each, just in case one drive bites the dust. I've been too lazy to figure out how to do a RAID setup on my Powermac, so every month or so I make copies manually. Not ideal, but a simple drag/drop of a bunch of files every so often is pretty easy.

Enter Drobo. This $500 thing looks pretty sweet. Pricey? A little upfront, but I bet in the long run it's cheaper than multiple external drives, which I'm looking at as a possible reality someday in the not-too-distant future. I may have to budget for one of these later this year.

watch the video: http://drobo.com/products_demo.aspx

Very interesting Scott, since you maybe buying one I found that on the forum of CreativeMac:

FYI - for those interested in the drobo, you can save $25 off the price through July 31 by using the reference code / coupon REFDANA at their online store
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

cool, thanks... if I get one, I won't be purchasing by 7/31; I'll keep my eye out for other offers later.

Drobo gets good reviews on CNET and fairs well on Engadget. This looks like a simple way to back up, but I'm not sure why Drobo does not have Firewire. I am considering a RAID 5 array with an external enclosure, and the price is in the same ballpark with the Drobo without the hard drives. I'll do a little more research between Drobo and RAID 5 when I get closer to making a purchase.

Give us the good, the bad, the ugly if you decide to make this purchase.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Hijacking this thread to say....

I love music, and I mis-read this title to say DOBRO...which is a bluegrass musical instrument...

LOL!!!!

I knew that was not Scott's first choice of music, so I looked closer...and had to laugh at my crazy self.....

OK...back to computers people...hijack over...carry on...

Teena

haha... well done Teena. I'm going to an Alison Krauss & Union Station concert in August. Dan Tyminski is actually quite an incredible dobro player; I'm very familiar w/ the instrument. Don't underestimate my taste in music.

Paul, Firewire 400 seems to be slowly fading out, but the pro-level Macs all have it and Firewire 800, the latter of which moves data much faster than USB 2.0. FW800 would've been a worthwhile interface to include, although the majority of the market will use USB anyway, so the add'l cost might not make sense if they only have one model.

The only "bad" I see is that the system uses more HDD space for the redundancy, so (4) 500gb drives would probably end up giving just over 1TB of storage vs. a true 2TB, for example. The tradeoff seems to be worth it though, and storage is getting ridiculously inexpensive when you look at the cost per gig... so whatever.

Well, Scott...I knew you were passionate about Passion...LOL Not exactly pickers and grinners...LOL

I love Allison! I wanna come too! I am jealous!

Take care,

Teena

PS--sorry for the hijack again...

Hi, Scott. Hopefully, FW 800 will be available in the second generation of Drobo.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Infrant ReadyNAS with a low production video demonstration. According to PC World Infrant was recently acquired by Netgear.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com