Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FDR and His Condition

FDR and His Condition

This morning I was studying FDR and WWII, and a question occurred to me that is not written in the history books. After being afflicted by Polio, was FDR able to urinate and defecate on his own? How did he handle those issues? I know no one here knew him personally (obviously) but perhaps someone can give me some reasonable answers.

Initially FDR lost the ability to urinate & deficate, but as time passed he regained those abilities

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankli...alytic_illness

Another interesting historical tidbit, is that General Patton of WWII fame broke one of his cervical vertebrae in a car accident, and became a quadriplegic. Soon after he died from an embolism
    Last edited by KVP612; 06-24-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Thank you for that link. I didn't find that, although I found the one directly on FDR.

Franklin Delano Romanawski?

I saw a thing on the History Channel two nights ago about FDR's secret train entrance below the Waldorf in NYC. His limo would actually pull right off this bulletproof, enclosed train car and into an elevator deep below the hotel. This secret entrance helped him hide his condition from the public. The secret "train station" and his train car are still down there.

Rumors are that prominent US politicians still use this entrance to this day.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Todd, I decided to do an essay for my speech class on FDR in my senior class. Did a lot of reading on him but never were those issues mentioned. I do recall that he did attempt to do things more as an AB. There was a speech he did where he did, with great effort, stand up on his braces to address the people. Am not sure of this, but I do think there was a movie where this instance was shown and it showed all the people applauding him and his effort. This great man is what motivated/inspired me too after my own SCI. This was why I did the essay on him. In a way you could say that reading what he became and did after his paralysis made me see how much we can be capable of doing or becoming after a traumatic event such as ours. It helped me find my way back to living life as best as could be lived. I guess that most likely someone in the future/present will see Christopher Reeves the same way. I admire him too.

Raven

Patton Info

Use Google for Patton's Death:
    Accident and death
    On December 9, 1945, in Germany a day before he was due to return to the United States, Patton was severely injured in a road accident. He and his chief of staff, Major General Hobart R. 'Hap' Gay, were on a daytrip to hunt pheasants in the country outside Mannheim. Their 1939 Cadillac Model 75 was driven by PFC Horace Woodring (1926 - 2003). Patton sat in the back seat, on the right with General Gay on his left, as per custom. At 11:45 near Neckarstadt, (Käfertal), a 2½ ton truck driven by T/5 Robert L. Thompson appeared out of the haze and made a left-hand turn towards a side road. The Cadillac smashed into the truck. General Patton was thrown forward and his head struck a metal part of the partition between the front and back seats. Gay and Woodring were uninjured. Paralyzed from the neck down, George Patton died of an embolism on December 21, 1945 at the military hospital in Heidelberg, Germany with his wife present.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Smile

How things have changed... I saw a History channel bio on him and they said the press back then knew all about his condition but out of respect did not write about it or take pics. Can you amagine that now? NOT.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Thank you, Raven, for that. I love FDR also. What an amazing man to have done so much as a leader!

Interesting fact, J. Sounds a bit spooky, too.

A fantastic resource on how disabilty affected FDR:

FDR's Splendid Deception, by Hugh Gallagher.

Gallegher was a Warm Springs patient himself, an author and historian.