Thread: Pressure Sore? When to worry?

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Pressure Sore? When to worry?

When I removed my shoes tonight I noticed a red spot on the bony part, outside of my foot, the "knuckle" of the pinky toe.

I think the seam of my nylons rubbed between my foot and my shoe. It's also at a place where I used to get corns when I was A/B, from wearing hight heeled shoes.

It's obviously sore, by the way my leg spasms when I touch it!

So, when should I worry?
    Should I stop wearing shoes for a few days? Can I wear shoes if I keep it covered with a band aid during the day?
    How do I know if it's a pressure sore, or a blood blister (it kind of looks like a blood blister)
    Do pressure sores bleed?

So many questions! I always feared a sore on my butt.....never considered that I'd get one on my foot!

Thanks!

My husband had something like that start on one of his toes a while ago. I felt around in his shoe and noticed a rough spot. So he changed shoes, and it healed right up. Given the degree of difficulty that seems to go with healing real pressure sores, if I were you I would definitely do something to relieve pressure on that spot before it gets any worse.

AB wife of T8 complete para

I currently have a stage one pressure sore on that same "knuckle" or fifth met head. I had my AFOs blown out in that area for when I stand and I got shoes a size bigger in wide. I also have DuoDerm on it. If you touch the red spot and it changes from white to red then you are in no immediate danger of a pressure sore but find what is making it red and do something to alleviate the pressure. If it is red and stays red when you touch I suggest getting DuoDerm to put on it then do the same above. Make sure your wheelchair legrests aren't pushing against it too. Hope this helps. Just some things we did for me.

Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

HSB - Marie has offered good advice about the appearance of the area. You will need to keep the area free of any pressure until it heals. If you are going out, you could either wear a slipper with a soft lining or cover with a soft sock. Whatever you put on the foot should be loose-fitting, checked for any spots or seams that could rub or irritate, and larger than you would usually wear.

Circulation is poorest for all people in the feet. This is even a greater concern for the person with SCI. You need to be checking the site at least twice a day to be sure that it has not progressed or become inflamed around the edges. If you notice any further changes, you should see your doctor immediately. CRF

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    I think the sore was brought on by simply adjusting the calf strap of my chair, wich caused my feet to set further back on the footplate. My left foot tended to be crammed up against the front frame of my chair. I think, when I wore shoes, this caused preasure there all day. I re-adjusted the calf strap. So far it looks okay. Plus, I came down with the flu, so I was home for 4 days without wearing shoes, and my feet were elevated. I'm sure that helped.

One more question, though... are the beginnings of preasure sores "open", "weeping" or "wet"? This one wasn't, It looked more like a corn to me, like a circle, with the middle looking like a blood blister.

Anyway, thanks all for your assistance. What is DuoDerm? Do I need a prescription for it? If not, where can I find it?

Thanks.

DuoDerm (I think that's how you spell it) is a think foam with sticky on one side of it. You can wear it up to 5 days. What it does is it distributes the pressure so it is not on that one spot. Works very well. I think you can get it as a perscription, not sure though. Ask your doctor to get you a box, or I get mine from the Health Department so check there.

Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

I've had many pressure sores so can shed a little light on the subject. Some sores start from inside in you bump or bruise yourself.If you see a red area it is wise to try and stay off it for awhile until the circulation in the area increases.By that you can shift your weight to another area or in this case just leave your shoe off for awhile.
    You ask when a person should worry about them. Always. Just get into the habit of checking yourself each night at bedtime if possible.All the best with this...

HSB, since you appear to be an Air Force veteran, I assume you get your care through a VA SCI Center, correct? You should see them for a wound consultation and a prescription for the correct wound care product. Many wounds are made worse by just slapping Duoderm (or any other hydrocolloidal dressing) on them without appropriate assessment or a rational approach to wound healing.

(KLD)

I just never imagined how easy it is to get a pressure sore. I check my husband thoroughly or so I thought. He had a sore muscle on the back of his leg above the knee. I stretched him, used a muscle stimulator, and without thinking put a hand held massager under his leg. Never thinking that the full weight of his leg would cause the massager to cause a pressure sore. One morning when I was moving him I noticed some drainage on the sheet. Still didn't put it together. I was cleaning his butt on his toilet chair and just happened to see the back of his leg. Oh my gosh, they are just awful and very big. At least stage 2, weeping. I am treating it as I did the one on his butt that he came home from the nursing home with. I have home health nurses coming out to see my mom and against his wishes told the RN. She asked if he would let her look at it and he said no. I made a decision that if i don't see a really big improvement soon, home health it is.