Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Girls Discussion

I love this show! When it was on at 6:00 on Lifetime, it was always on here. We (my roommate and I) have seasons 1, 2, and 7...got to get the other ones! My favorite is Sophia...her quick wit and out of the blue reactions really crack me up!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    I love this show! When it was on at 6:00 on Lifetime, it was always on here. We (my roommate and I) have seasons 1, 2, and 7...got to get the other ones! My favorite is Sophia...her quick wit and out of the blue reactions really crack me up!
    Haha!

Blanche: When Mel and I are together, we laugh a lot.
    Sophia: Why wouldn't you? You're both naked.

Blanche: I feel just like I did when I was a virgin.
    Sophia: You mean the feeling isn't going to last long?

Blanche: Mel and I were meant to be together.
    Sophia: I wish I could say the same for your thighs.

You. Are. So. Gay.

(meant lovingly and jokingly, i hope you know!!)
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    You. Are. So. Gay.

(meant lovingly and jokingly, i hope you know!!)
    Really? My dad says it's my opinion.

I am embarassed to say.....I have seen every episode of the GG's ever made. My past two long-term girlfriends both loved the show. I even bought the last gf the first three seasons on dvd.

GG trivia:

Did you know that there were 4 (if i remember correctly) different openings to the show?

AND

Sophia was actually the youngest of the four.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    GG trivia:

Did you know that there were 4 (if i remember correctly) different openings to the show?

AND

Sophia was actually the youngest of the four.
    Who told you that? Both of those facts are wrong. Rue McClanahan (Blanche) was the youngest of the four. She was born in 34. Betty White and Bea Arthur were born in 1922, while Estelle Getty were born in 1923. Yes, Dorothy was older than Sophia in real life.

As for four different openings to the show, I don't really know what you mean - the pilot episode or the musical opening? In either case, the number four is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Who told you that? Both of those facts are wrong. Rue McClanahan (Blanche) was the youngest of the four. She was born in 34. Betty White and Bea Arthur were born in 1922, while Estelle Getty were born in 1923. Yes, Dorothy was older than Sophia in real life.

As for four different openings to the show, I don't really know what you mean - the pilot episode or the musical opening? In either case, the number four is wrong.
    Crap...I've been lied to. Turns out that Sophia was the 2nd youngest. Shoot me.

I'm talking musical opening. Are you sure 4 is wrong? I really feel like I remember counting. One is really short, one is really long, one repeats the chorus an extra time...and one was really really really short. Then again, I could be wrong again - wouldn't be surprised.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    I'm talking musical opening. Are you sure 4 is wrong? I really feel like I remember counting. One is really short, one is really long, one repeats the chorus an extra time...and one was really really really short. Then again, I could be wrong again - wouldn't be surprised.
    Oh, okay! You could be right here. Yes, they did differ at times. From what I can tell on the DVDs, though I usually skip the openings, the first season had a slightly different one than the rest of the seasons. I do know there's a long one and short one. LOL! I don't completely know the answer to this one either.

The four played off each other so well.
    Didn't they tho'? I don't have a fav. I'm not to say that I've seen most of the episodes too. My next door neighbor of 21 years reminded me of Blanche to a ''T''. She had that perverted humor that would embarass one as a kid. The reruns play daily, but I haven't tuned in in quite some time.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Who else loves this show as much as I do? Do you own any of the DVD sets? Favorite episodes? Favorite characters? Memories it brings you?
    Since people are reading this thread. I decided to answer my own questions for those who want to know. LOL!

I love the show. One of my all-time favorites. I own every season on DVD and it's almost always running like music in the background when I'm surfing or doing work. It sounds sick and maybe is, but they keep me company. I do watch other DVDs as well, though.

My favorite episodes are usually the ones that deal with taboo subjects such as homosexuality, politics, affairs, the disabled, pregnancies out of wedlock and other things I can't think of. I think The Golden Girls' appeal is how it tackled taboo subjects with humor and compassion.

I love each character for different reasons. I don't think the show could have the same magic and appeal without even one of them. I see pieces of myself in each one of the characters.

My favorite memories The Golden Girls brings to me is watching it with my grandmother when I'd come home from school. In fact, this same grandmother gave me Season One as a Christmas gift in 2004 and I thought it was so fitting since we shared a lot of good times watching TGG together.