Thread: Adopt a Pet

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Or adopt a friendly, low-maintenance, retired racing greyhound like Pumpkin here:

http://www.4greyhounds.org/

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Greyhounds are beautiful animals. If I weren't in a chair or living in an apt. I would really consider adopting one. I think I'm going to rescue a boston instead.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

My cousin Holli recently got a Great Dane. Such a nice dog!

Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    Greyhounds are beautiful animals. If I weren't in a chair or living in an apt. I would really consider adopting one. I think I'm going to rescue a boston instead.
    They are beautiful dogs. And they aren't hyper like many people believe. Plus they're very "socialized" to people and other dogs especially at the most common adoption age of 4-5 years old. You don't have to worry about them attacking and mauling your neighbor's small child. The neighbor's cat... well that's another story! It's funny in a way... they can usually catch a cat but don't know what to do with it once they've caught it... and more than likely will end up on the losing end of a fight. One of mine got off the leash as I was walking her and she took off after a cat that I didn't see... it came back to me limping and scratched to hell. Don't let 'em get off the leash if there are cats or other small animals around.... they're sight hounds and are trained to chase small things. Ocassionally I'd take mine to a large fenced in school yard (after school was out) just to let her run around at top speed. They're fun to watch run.

Greyhounds make great couch potatoes and enjoy an ocassional walk of course, but that's optional.

They won't allow you to adopt one if you live in an apartment. You MUST have a house with an average size fenced-in yard. And they must live in your house as a pet, not in a freakin' doghouse in the backyard to be ignored etc. I think it's cruel (unacceptable) to keep a dog chained to a doghouse 24/7.

They're all spayed or neutered usually just before you get them... and that's included in the adoption fee as is a total health examination by a vet that includes teeth cleaning. I think I paid $250 for mine and tipped the volunteer $100 for the two or three trips (gas money) that she made out to my house.

They're house broken... a big plus if you're in a wheelchair!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I agree with Bob about keeping a dog confined all the time. Sadly, my cousin knows a friend who lets one dog roam around and go into the house while the other is confined to one section of the yard. She hates that he does that and often threatens to call animal control if she thinks the dog isn't being attended to.

That must make the confined dog feel jealous of the other one. Plus it's just not humane to keep a dog confined in a small area... they're social pack animals.

My neighbor had a Tick Hound (I think that's the name/breed) that he kept chained to doghouse way out back near our field. And he left it a small metal bowl full of water each day that the chain would always snag and knock over leaving the dog without water. Plus the chain would get tangled around the doghouse leaving the dog almost immobile. I found myself going over there numerous times to untangle the poor thing.

It's VERY hot here in FL in the summertime so while he was at work and his wife was gone I went over there with a shovel and dug a hole about a foot deep in the guy's yard and put a large bucket in there and filled it up with 2 gallons of water. I don't know if he knew it was me or not... but there were wheelchair marks left in the sand. He got the idea and kept the big bucket full of water from then on.

I would never call animal control on a neighbor even if I thought there was abuse going on without talking to the neighbor first. And on several ocassions. Unless it was "severe" and/or imminent abuse. I did have a friendly conversation with him about why that dog was chained out back and their other dog (a cocker spaniel) was always in the house. And he was, in his own way, trying to help the dog. It was left where he worked at by some asshole who quit and just left his dog there to fend for itself. No one else was concerned at all about it so he "volunteered" to take it home. It was a tough call for me but I just accepted it since it was legal and all.

Once it got down into the 20s here in the winter time and I took the poor dog over a blanket and a can of dog food. Their motion detector went off and the spotlights came on we but no one came out. I felt so sorry for the dog. Butting into other people's business isn't cool so ya do the best you can.

The dog's name was Jip... I really thought he got "gypped" outta a good life. Oh yeah, he had heartworm too and survived it. I'm glad he finally died, the doghouse dismantled and I don't have to think about him much anymore.

Bob.

You've got a big heart, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Karla523
    You've got a big heart, Bob.
    Bob also has the heart of a child. He keeps it in a jar on his nightstand.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I've tried adopting rescued painted turtles, but they don't stay in my pond - they head for the stream in the woods. The woman from the Turtle Rescue place considers my yard a good place for release, because there is natural painted turtle habitat behind me. If a turtle decides to stay in the pond, fine. If not, also fine.

This spring, Dixon, the painted turtle (also a rescue, who decided free food and fish to chase was a good deal) which had lived in my pond through seven winters, disappeared (I miss him.) We had a very wierd winter/spring - January was above normal, as was February. For much of those months, I saw Dixon when I went out back. One day, I didn't see him. We were then hit with a three week spell of very cold, below normal weather. If Dixon had gone exploring, that cold would have killed him, but I don't think he left his home of seven years - I think someone took him. The woman has brought me two painted turtles found wandering on roads on two occasions since then, but both quickly left. It's not the same sitting by the pond without seeing Dixon (named after Maryland Terp basketball star Juan Dixon) basking on a rock or swimming around.

There are reptile rescue groups in all states that try to find good homes for pet reptiles that people couldn't take care of, or non-native species that are found. If someone is looking for a pet reptile, search for a group near you.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.