Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solid vs. Pneumatic Rear Tires?

Solid vs. Pneumatic Rear Tires?

I been thinking of getting solid rubber 24"x1 3/8" tires for my rear wheels. I've been running regular generic pneumatics on my rear tires for 30 years. This study from 2002 seems to indicate solid tires have more burdens than benefits......unless tires have significantly changed in 5 years. You folks have personal opinions (both good and bad) regarding solids vs. pneumatic rear tires? Thanks.

http://www.rehabpub.com/features/892002/7.asp

I prefer solid. They ride fine and I don't have to worry about one
    going flat while i'm out.

This is an old study using old stuff, with new high resiliency polymers as in the Kik Makos it's totaly different. Trying is believing, the only "con" is their weight but I would not go back to inflated tires even though I was using fine Continental indoor sport tires for everyday use ($$). I also use D's Locks so I don't have the problems some are reporting adjusting their brakes with airless tires (they are very hard, but also fast).
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

I'm all for pneumatic's....tried many a brand

http://www.schwalbetires.com/wheelchair/tires

I've just started using the 'marathon plus' tires....they're good stuff too

..oh yeah, they say "can handle even a heap of broken glass." they mean that too

We just switched from pneumatics to solids on the front wheels of my son's Permobil, as we learned from experience that chaning a tire on one of those chairs is a total bear! And it started us thinking that if we got a flat while it was just me out with Matt, there's no way I could manage the chair by myself. The tech told us that the solids would maybe cut down a little on speed - not an issue - and that they may make turning a little harder, and they do make the chair heavier.

Thanks for the replies but "marmalady" I am referring to rear tires on a manual wheelchair only. I can really feel the difference when I lose a little some air in my pneumatics....it becomes far more difficult to push. I'd like to try solids but not sure what is out there and if it's any better overall. Any other suggestions on types of solids and wheels? Oh ya, is it worth it to get a pair of SPOX wheels if I'd be slapping solids on them? Thanks.

The reasons to get SPOX wheels are as good no matter the tires you will put on them.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

After getting stranded with flats a couple times, I put spongy foam inserts in my tires instead of air. The foam still allows for some bounce, but never goes flat. There is a speed/performance toll, as well as increased weight. For me, the trade-off is a good one.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I have Kik Mako solids on my spinergies...and I would never do anything else. I do have regular tires on my sports chairs...but I like the fact that I will never be stranded with a flat, I never have to bring all the tools with me in case I do, and the strength of the spinergies make me feel a lot safer when jumping curbs, etc.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I think it depends on what type of terrain you will be using the chair on. If you plan to go into a lot of grassy areas, pneumatic tires are easier to push. If you are using the chair in mostly areas that are paved or tarred, the solid tires might be good, but they are heavier, and for me, it seems like you "feel" every bump more. I personally like a smooth ride and prefer the pneumatic tires best.