Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: I got lectured for parking in a handicapped spot...gee.

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    But why? You are only describing YOUR RESPONSE, in the moment, since that is all you can know, while at the same time, acknowledging the intention of the woman's actions being most likely well-meaning, and something you do applaud. Try not to get baited by trolls and feed their anger, and the argumentative tone and judgments they exhibit. It's merely a weak and lazy way to get your attention.
    Now why can't others get that? Yes, Chick-a you are correct and since that was the first time something like that happened to me, I'll be smoother in my response as I am no longer a "virgin" to the experience. As for the angry tigers, whoops.....I mean trolls, sometimes it is oh-so-difficult to take the high road, as I would like to believe they can be reasoned with but I guess that's just great expectations on my part.

Fortunately, we don't have too many pervvy cops here in Georgia. Now school teachers, that's another story!

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    Life keeps rollin'.
    Ain't that the truth? However, I intend to limit my rolling in the city on days when it is 95 plus degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    At least you werent lectured for using your handicapped tag in a blue parking space with an expectant mothers sign on it.....our local hospital has taken one of their handicapped spaces and converted it to expectant mother parking.

We have a section in our local paper called the "Rants and Raves" section. People can call in anonymous rants and raves.....

These parking spaces have caused more ruckous than non handicapped people parking in handicapped spots....

I use the expectant mother parking if another space is not available. Most people rant because elderly people use their handicapped placard in these spaces..... I am young enough I guess for people to not know I am expecting LOL....
    I've always been afraid to park in those expectant mother spots. Although I could get away with it...the last thing I want is people thinking I'm pregnant, or jinxing myself. I live in a town where too many poeple know everybody...last thing I want is rumors. Being not the smallest of women, the biggest insult is being asked if you're pregnant(which hasn't happened yet thankfully)...only to have to tell the poor soul, "no, I'm just fat"(I'd much rather avoid having to state the obvious).

This thread reminded me of a t-shirt I saw at cafepress... It says, If you want my parking spot you can take my disability too. Its really irritating seeing just how much handicap permits are abused.

Jennifer

My oldest daughter and I ran into a couple of those "check to see if you have the tag" types at Wendy's one day. I was giving her a driving lesson, and when we pulled into the H/C spot they could only see her -- young and so very healthy. They stared, pointed and whispered as they went in.

When we finally got me unloaded, into my chair, and into the restaurant, they saw us again and realized that we did belong in the HC parking space. The look on their faces (after the dirty looks they had given her earlier) was priceless.

Ironically, the spot we took was at the end of a whole row of parking that had no cars at all except ours and theirs. We could have actually parked anywhere on the row and been fine to get me out.

On the other hand, we went down to the neighborhood pool one day earlier this summer only to find the only H/C spot taken by a vehicle with no H/C tag. The HC spot is very important down there, because it is on the end and the rest of the spaces are too tight to get my wheelchair positioned beside me.

I did a little "asking around" and learned that the offender was the PRESIDENT of our neighborhood association, an AB woman with two AB children. When I confronted her about it (very politely), she was duly embarrassed. She even confessed that she was the one who put the H/C sign up in the first place.

:-) WantToLive (Sharon)
    Cancer-related SCI, 12/26/2005
    http://www.mylifewithcancer.com

Friday I found a car parked in front of my physical therapist office with a boy in it sitting alone. The last spot wide enough to get out. We find a spot at the end and park crooked so I can be sure to get back in. Getting into the car was another pt from the place I go. Her husband is a walking para. He was not with them. I was fuming. This is the same lady who was talking about ordering a new stepper for the clinic. I showed her the nustep and thought she was sold. What came in last week? A regular stepper that I can't use. I like the guy that helps me but I don't understand her. Esp with her husband.

I would have tapped on her window but she was already gone.
    Last edited by addiesue; 06-24-2007 at 10:29 PM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Yup yup yup .... because Chad cannot drive, we are not allowed to have permanent plates, only a hang tag. But, we have a conversion van, and so its hard to see the placard sometimes (which, by the way, technically belongs to another member of this board because ours got shredded and I never find the time to go get another one!!). It frequently happens that I pull into a H/C spot (when we bother trying a H/C spot given the ramp length we need), I hop out of the van to go open the doors for Chad. Then, my son will hop out of the back. Then the dog. For those in the parking lot, I can always tell who is lurking about to make sure I am legitimately using the space .... but when they see the ramp go down, down, down and Chad's hulking space age headset driven chair come out, they all scurry away.

Yuppers, BTDT!! I feel your pain. Well, sorta! lol ...
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

It's funny our different reactions to people. Most of the time, I read people bitching about cops & security guards not doing their job. I've only been questioned 3 times by people when I pulled into a hc space. Two were city cops and one was a sheriff and I've resented all three.
    Last edited by flicka; 06-24-2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: fuck up

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    Yup yup yup .... because Chad cannot drive, we are not allowed to have permanent plates, only a hang tag.
    Is there a reason you want plates vs. a hang tag? Is one better than the other?

But, we have a conversion van, and so its hard to see the placard sometimes (which, by the way, technically belongs to another member of this board because ours got shredded and I never find the time to go get another one!!).
    Does having a conversion van always mean a placard is difficult to see? Are your windows tinted? Are you assuming that everyone is shorter than the dash level of your van? And, by the way, you are admitting that you are breaking the law by using another person's placard.

It frequently happens that I pull into a H/C spot (when we bother trying a H/C spot given the ramp length we need), I hop out of the van to go open the doors for Chad. Then, my son will hop out of the back. Then the dog. For those in the parking lot, I can always tell who is lurking about to make sure I am legitimately using the space ....
    And you can tell who is "lurking about" how? And you know they are waiting to see you are legitimately using the space - how would you know that? Maybe they are playing mental solitaire, maybe they are waiting for their aunt who is getting her nails done at the salon next to the store you are going to, maybe they are lost in thought, and maybe, just maybe, they are standing there waiting to ask you a question about disability. If you would look at it as an opportunity to educate, maybe you would have less bitterness in your life.

but when they see the ramp go down, down, down and Chad's hulking space age headset driven chair come out, they all scurry away.
    From your use of the grin faces, multiple uses, it would appear you take pleasure in embarrassing others. This completely reinforces the stereotype of the bitter caregiving wife of a disabled man.

Yuppers, BTDT!! I feel your pain. Well, sorta! lol ...
    I really doubt you feel his pain. One cannot compare the annoyances of a caregiver to the realities of being disabled. Despite your acknowlegment of this, you have much to learn.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

that's sorta but so funny to me. Maybe becasue I am so bored.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

What the hell happened above?

Ami, do you enjoy answering yourself in TR fashion?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia