Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: I am selling two handcycles on ebay

  1. #1

    I am selling two handcycles on ebay

    Go to www.ebay.com and do a search on "Handcycle" the Auction is a very reasonable starting bid with no reserve or a low buy it now price. One Handcycle is a Top End XLT Pro and the Other is a Freedom Ryder Stage bike. The Auction Started Today 6-22-07 and ends in ten days.

  2. #2
    Senior Member CapnGimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Alpine, TX USA male T4complete
    Posts
    3,470
    Blog Entries
    1
    for the XLT
    http://tinyurl.com/39uckw

    Freedom Ryder
    http://tinyurl.com/2kcb6n

    CURT, that is a nice caddy, if I had the cash, I'd take it off your hands!
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 06-23-2007 at 02:30 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member CapnGimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Alpine, TX USA male T4complete
    Posts
    3,470
    Blog Entries
    1
    FOOLISH OLD
    check out the XLT really nice one

    if you can ride leansteer, great deal on the FR also.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 06-23-2007 at 02:30 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    16,412
    Thanks for the heads up, CapN. As you know, I am interested in, but totally ignorant about handcycling.

    Could someone please tell me a little about how lean steer works? I have decent balance and trunk control. I don't expect that I will be entering any competitions, just looking for a fun way to get a little exercise and burn a few calories.

    Don't have hills here.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 06-23-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    Foolish

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    for the XLT
    http://tinyurl.com/39uckw

    Freedom Ryder
    http://tinyurl.com/2kcb6n

    CURT, that is a nice caddy, if I had the cash, I'd take it off your hands!
    I hate to get rid of the caddy, it drives like a new car and is a blast to drive with the 300hp northstar motor. I just need the cash at this point and have two other cars, lol. It is a little rough getting in and out of the caddy too as its kinda low, but I am pretty well use to it at this point.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    Thanks for the heads up, CapN. As you know, I am interested in, but totally ignorant about handcycling.

    Could someone please tell me a little about how lean steer works? I have decent balance and trunk control. I don't expect that I will be entering any competitions, just looking for a fun way to get a little exercise and burn a few calories.

    Don't have hills here.

    Thanks.
    Its actually not too hard to learn to ride the Freedom rider especially if you ever rode a regular bicycle before your injury it should come right back to you, it is a lot like riding a bicycle where you have to balance. Generally in an hour or two most people have the general hang of it. Just by leaning even a little bit the Cycle will start turning. I'll never forget the first time I rode a Freedom Ryder though, lol. I felt like I was drunk. Hopefully I am not going to scare people away with my warning in the ad for the freedom ryder, I just thought people should be aware to ride the bike in an empty parking lot when they first start out, the worst thing you could do is try and ride it in traffic the first ride, that would be downright dangerous.

    The Freedom Ryder is a great touring handcycle, I have been all over the place on that red Cycle. It was on that bike that I did my first Century mile in a day (100 miles) it is very comfortable, I would say even more so than the Top End. It rides like a Cadillac with those 559 Stelvio tires, they are fairly high profile (28's) so they absorb the bumps pretty good which is welcome on some of the bumpy bike paths.

    The tall gearing would be good for you in Florida too as you put it in top gear and the crank is still turning fairly slow even at 20 mph on the flat, its going to take you a while of training to be able to get up to those speeds, but if you ride enough and eat right you will do it. I remember when I first started riding back in 1997 I use to struggle to cruise along at 6 mph, now I generally cruise along between 13 to 16 mph. Huge difference, its going to be tough when I start going the other way as I am turning 50 next year

    Took some new pictures of the Freedom rider that I posted to ebay today as the ones I took yesterday were blurred as a storm was rolling in at the time and I was rushing it.

    Thanks For posting the direct links Captain.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 06-23-2007 at 08:01 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    16,412
    Thanks Curt.

    So, the handlebars don't pivot to steer at all? How subtle is the lean steering once mastered? Can one, say, avoid oncoming traffic on a narrow bike path without running themselves off the road? How about steering response at low speed? How do you U-turn?

    What are the seat widths on each bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    Its actually not too hard to learn to ride the Freedom rider especially if you ever rode a regular bicycle before your injury it should come right back to you, it is a lot like riding a bicycle where you have to balance. Generally in an hour or two most people have the general hang of it. Just by leaning even a little bit the Cycle will start turning. I'll never forget the first time I rode a Freedom Ryder though, lol. I felt like I was drunk. Hopefully I am not going to scare people away with my warning in the ad for the freedom ryder, I just thought people should be aware to ride the bike in an empty parking lot when they first start out, the worst thing you could do is try and ride it in traffic the first ride, that would be downright dangerous.

    The Freedom Ryder is a great touring handcycle, I have been all over the place on that red Cycle. It was on that bike that I did my first Century mile in a day (100 miles) it is very comfortable, I would say even more so than the Top End. It rides like a Cadillac with those 559 Stelvio tires, they are fairly high profile (28's) so they absorb the bumps pretty good which is welcome on some of the bumpy bike paths.

    The tall gearing would be good for you in Florida too as you put it in top gear and the crank is still turning fairly slow even at 20 mph on the flat, its going to take you a while of training to be able to get up to those speeds, but if you ride enough and eat right you will do it. I remember when I first started riding back in 1997 I use to struggle to cruise along at 6 mph, now I generally cruise along between 13 to 16 mph. Huge difference, its going to be tough when I start going the other way as I am turning 50 next year

    Took some new pictures of the Freedom rider that I posted to ebay today as the ones I took yesterday were blurred as a storm was rolling in at the time and I was rushing it.

    Thanks For posting the direct links Captain.
    Foolish

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

  8. #8
    Nope, the handlebars are fixed you steer just buy leaning your body. It is very subtle, you can even steer just by leaning your head a little, you are essentially controlling the direction of the cycle with your neck muscles. To pull a u turn you just lean your body as far as you can without going over and hope and pray you make the turn. if not you just backup by pulling on the rear wheels with your hands and turn it into a two point, three point, four point or 5 point turn, lol. Pulling u turns can be an interesting experience if you dont have a large enough area, I would say to do a one point turn, I'd need at least a two lane road to make it. Steering response at low speeds is ok, but its much better the faster you go, when your going real fast its pretty sensitive and you have to look out for high speed wobbles too, I had a friend get messed real bad when she went into a wobble going around 40mph and crashed. You definately have to have a healthy respect for these bikes as with any handcycle, when you do, they are safe and lots of fun.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 02:54 PM
  2. Selling wheelchair on ebay
    By LambOfJesusFreak in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 12:01 AM
  3. Spoof Ebay Email LMAO@This.......
    By Cherry in forum Life
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 04:03 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2002, 10:11 AM
  5. Bill Porter: Selling his uplifting attitude
    By Wise Young in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2002, 09:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •