Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Folding slide board?

As far as the joint pinching, I'm thinking that clothing would protect enough, especially if we arw careful with the transfer.

K, yea, 24" is still akward to carry, mine is 21" and would only fits in my biggest backpack.

I like the teardrop shape idea. Hope you think of where you saw it chick.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Biscuit joint! You don't watch The New Yankee Workshop?!?
    Lol, no...we don't get that programme here. The clue is in the title.
    But seriously, thanks for the biscuit joint info.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    K, yea, 24" is still akward to carry, mine is 21" and would only fits in my biggest backpack
    Sjean, I've just looked at a tape measure to see how long 16 inches is (bearing in mind the points in Chick's last post), and I think that just maybe 16 inches might be adequate for what I want.
    What I'm mainly thinking of is being able to get onto these very comfy-looking squishy sofas I see in my favourite pub. I like the idea of lolling about on one as I sip my lemonade.

This is the pub...The Malthouse -

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    I've been in there pre SCI!

I yearn to sit on sofas as well but can never be arsed with the Herculean transfer - even with assistance - it would take.

I have lovely leather sofas at home but my backside has never been near them
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    I saw a similar landscape like that in the movie Breaking & Entering, which is a really good romantic drama set in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Dave at Western Medical sent me to www.therafin.com as they manufacture the folding board from the link in my first post. Their site doesn;t appear to show any, but I emailed them to ask as well.
    They just emailed me back that they no longer make this.

I'm not sure how short you can go for sofa transfers Karen. Its a bigger gap than it appears,cuz of the cushy cushions. You might need more length than you think to get back up, as once you are sitting on the cushion, it compresses.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks sjean. I guess people can still try to make their own flip/fold board tho. I'd be interested how Kristi's come out.

I was just thinking, would a "scoping" type board work? This can be pulled out an extended, as needed, with the edge where extension is pulled out, always on the transferring down side, so one slides off it rather than being caught on the edge.

Some days, I wish I was Norm, with my own workshop! Keps, I figure it's on PBS, and we get all the british shows!

Keps, Rhino - yep, big comfy sofas are good... they can be fairly easy to get onto, but impossible to get out of, especially the soft cushions.

Rhino, have you tried just doing a quick pivot, or at least in a pivot type position with arms supporting you, as a friend just quickly supports/shifts your bum onto sofa? I had a para friend help get me on to a low sofa once, he was on sofa, with me in transfer position on edge of my chair cushion without transfer board, and with a quick pull of my rear, got on the sofa. Of course, getting out was another story, which I'll reserve, for never

Quote Originally Posted by chick

Rhino, have you tried just doing a quick pivot, or at least in a pivot type position with arms supporting you, as a friend just quickly supports/shifts your bum onto sofa?
    I have thought about. You're right, getting on would be ok but out would be a nightmare....and I would worry I'd suddenly need to cath and blah, blah.....not sure it's worth it
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

One thing that I find helps on sofa-back-to-chair transfers, is having someone sit next to me, and I put my hand on their thigh, instead of the sofa. I get more lift that way.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    I have thought about. You're right, getting on would be ok but out would be a nightmare....and I would worry I'd suddenly need to cath and blah, blah.....not sure it's worth it
    Yes, I completely agree, that the need to cath and the restriction of movement and just the ability to freely moving around, is major reason I prefer to stay in my w/chair.

Sometimes, those long nights at a get-together at someone's home where I can chill and lounge with feet up or something, I'll get out out of chair. Just watch/restrict fluids, so won't have to cath for more than a few hours. You definitely need to break in your own sofa! Especially when you have those gatherings at your place, with close friends around to assist if needed. Even if, just once. Wanna feel that smooth cool leather on your skin, dontcha??
    I just got a new one, which I might try transferring onto... just haven't yet. It's a pullout, and have been able to transfer in/out then, but sofa is different set-up...and again, even at home, I like to move too much to wanna sit still too long in a sofa.