Thread: The annual break....steroids.

The annual break....steroids.

So I am thankful today, I got a rest. Since I fell on the job three and a half years ago healing and therapy have reduced my pain to localized nerve and muscle pain in the right SI joint down the pathway to the middle of my calf. I get a little relief from changing positions and activity but you all know the feeling..its always there in the background..sometimes whispering and sometimes shouting..pecking you to death like a crazy duck. It boils down to now..once a year, I am allowed a shot of steroids into the suture of the SI Joint with a big-assed needle, under flouroscopy. Thats the limit. IT works too..for about 9 weeks I am mostly pain free...I sleep, I rest, I work, and I play like once upon a time...its a breath of life. Then of course..at the end of the summer...its back as always. I had the shot Monday. I am enjoying the break. I am so lucky, I wish there was a break for everyone else. Yeah its a tease and I am usually really pissed the day it wears off, but I am going to live hard this summer before the pecking duck returns. I slept last night, and today I could almost think.

We need to find the magic break for everyone.
    1FineSpineRN

Why can't they do it more often then once a year Mary?

I'm glad to hear you're getting a little relief for the time being. Are they going to continue to allow you to have this injections annually? I've heard the typical approach with steroid injections is 3 annual shots and that's it.

It's maddening. If the steroids are working, unless I'm wrong, that means that whacking the inflammation is doing the trick for you. There really needs to be a better solution for this. When you're not on the steroids do you still use TENS? (not claiming that's a real solution, just sort of a crutch)

I’ve also received a steroid shot in my sciatic nerve compliments of the pain clinic. I’ve been injected four times in the last year, with the first injection accompanied by two additional injections. Each successive injection was given a month later, so the grouping of injections was over a three month period.

After the completion of my first group of injections my Doctor required that I take a three month break so I wouldn’t look like “The Michelin Man.” My metabolism is fairly high so I never noticed any significant weight gain.

However, when I received the fourth injection (after a three month hiatus) I didn’t notice any improvement in my ability to sit longer before the pain forced me to lie down. Injections are kind of hit-and-miss for me; sometimes successful and other times not. As I have very poor sensation in the leg I was injected, I often couldn’t feel the “zap” that drove sensations down my leg. If I missed the zap, then the injection was useless and a waste of a $100 out-of-pocket expense.

I decided to no longer have the shots as the last injection was unsuccessful and really just a waste of a $100 as I couldn’t verify that the injection was entering the sciatic nerve. I have an excellent Doctor, just happen to be that I can’t feel the zap all the time and therefore am unable to help him find the sciatic nerve.

To anyone that wants to have some relief from sitting and has been diagnosed with sciatica: Give the steroid injection a try as if the procedure is successful you may notice a great deal of relief from sitting.

I get to have three a year if needed but so far the first was golden....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I get one spinal or SI because I usually need three a year in my hip for the bursitis I get because my gait is messed up from the spasms. There is no easy answer. I am 47, and do not want to add kidney failure and diabetes to the list of issues. My first year I had three spinal injections. Last year two, this year one. I use TENS frequently to distract me along with ice. Whatever..it is a bit of a help. Mostly its snap-crackle pop..itch burn yada yada you all know the drill. Today was great, I have had two great nights sleep and I am of course afraid to trust it yet. So far so good. Oh and I also have asthma so sometimes I end up on oral steroids..so they count too. Yikes..I am a broken down old broad....
    1FineSpineRN

I had an SI block last month, and much of my lumbar back pain due to my crazy gait pattern is gone. I still have some soreness when walking, but nothing like it was. This is the first thing that has helped besides pain meds that make me feel like a zombie.

I don't know much about these shots. My doc ran through the laundry list of complications, but that was about it. No discussion of how often we do this, or about long term exposure to steroids. And quite frankly, I didn't think much about it because I honestly didn't think it would work, and thus be a one-time thing. I have had 2-3 cortisone shots per year for the last couple of years for unrelenting tendinitis, and now this shot (and a previous, non specific steroid shot for back pain that didin't work). I'm only 28. How much of this stuff is too much? Should I be worried? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks...

Nicki
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

I'd like to find an injection that helps my upper back. And one for the abdominal innards. These scraping, burning, cramping, lumpy, et al, parts are driving me nuts, and depressing the hell out of me.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    I have had 2-3 cortisone shots per year for the last couple of years for unrelenting tendinitis, and now this shot (and a previous, non specific steroid shot for back pain that didin't work). I'm only 28. How much of this stuff is too much? Should I be worried? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks...

Nicki
    I used to get cortisone shots in my right shoulder about every 4 months for about 3 years and occasionally got them in the left, about once a year. After I started handcycling, my pain went away mostly, except in winter when I don't ride.
    here is all I could find, from a better, more comprehensive post
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle1349.html

Thanks for the link, John!
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!