Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Floor to Chair Transfer Device

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Looking for Floor to Chair Transfer Device

I'm looking for something that will assist me with transferring from the floor to my chair.

I saw this in PN magazine http://www.paraladder.com/ but it costs $725!!!

Does anyone know of similar devices that may be a little cheaper?

Havent perfected it. but the method I am working on is: pull sofa cushion to floor, up on cushion, up on cushion-less sofa, over to cushioned sofa, into chair.

That seem like a lot of money. Would a step stool work? Or could someone build you one?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

The lack of any padding on the Para Ladder concerned me. How about looking at some of the pet steps that are designed for someone's elderly smaller dog to get up onto their bed or sofa without needing to jump?

We have looked at the Elk (but will probably get the related Camel product), but that is even more expensive.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl
    I'm looking for something that will assist me with transferring from the floor to my chair.

I saw this in PN magazine http://www.paraladder.com/ but it costs $725!!!

Does anyone know of similar devices that may be a little cheaper?
    Have you tried putting a tall object on one side of you, using it for hand placement, put hand somewhere on chair and push up and into the chair yet?
    Or sofa/chair, etc. on one side for push.

About the only time I go to ground is to get on a creeper to get under a vehicle to work on it. I use either the step bed of the truck, a 5 gallon bucket or a 18 inch high wooden box. I place them on my left side and the chair on my right. Grab the downtube at the front of the seat nearest me, push up and in. It is very easy. Danged if I pay 700 bucks for a glorified prop. That would be silly.
    The cushion trick at the couch is similar. You make small height changes in your butt(cushion, pillow, etc.) and go to a lower seat(cushionless chair/sofa/footstool) then to your chair.
    Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

We have looked at the Elk (but will probably get the related Camel product), but that is even more expensive.

(KLD)
    THAT is a freaking ridiculous price! I would get a car/truck innertube or two, lash them together, maybe put a fancy cover for those who detest mechanical appearances, join the valve stems and use a 30 dollar electric compressor. Stronger, WAY more stable and easily procured for C H E A P.

But hey, I'm just reasonable like that. I have one allergy, smoke from burning money. I avoid it.

or ?

There's the BUB(Bottoms Up Bar). I thought it was too expensive, but it's half the price of the paraladder. If your curious, here's a thread about how some folks get back into their chairs. Jimmns posted some good videos of how he does it too.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Blog Entries
    I STILL say why carry an EXPENSIVE huge contraption around. It only takes a support on one side and one motion. Up or down.
    I admire those who get in and out w/o any help. My limited rom in legs prevents me from going w/o a prop.

We are getting this device (the Camel actually, not the Elk) because 1) it is battery powered, and we need to be able to use it where there is no electrical supply such as outdoors, 2) it is very portable and light weight, and 3) to meet the requirements of our Safe Patient Handling and Movement Program for the prevention of staff injuries (and OSHA requirements) for getting patients or visitors off the ground/floor after falls. This product is being sold to fire and police departments for the same purpose. It is not really designed for personal home use, but you could get one if you had the $$.

If you can invent something that meets all these requirements you should make it and market it. There is a huge institutional market.

(KLD)

http://www.nextag.com/Rubbermaid-Two...14/prices-html

doesnt have hand holds, but if you can reach behind you (18 1/2" width steps) or use another prop, itd work - and its $20