Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need/want a new router.

I need/want a new router.

I have a Belkin 54g that is @ 3 yrs. old - connected to new cable modem that delivers video/voip and hsi. Having occasional disconnects.
    I want a new unit with more signal strength and range so I can work on laptop in backyard.

Please advise me on best upgrade choice. Is MIMO something to get excited about?

Thanks

This is the next generation wireless

Netgear RANGEMAX NEXT WIRELESS-N ROUTER GIGABIT EDITION
    WNR854T

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...s/WNR854T.aspx

I dunno, I'm still running a Linksys on an 802.11b protocol that hasn't had any problems in 5 years of continuous use (purchased summer '02). I say go w/ something from them. We have a 1.5 acre lot & you can get a signal pretty much anywhere on the property I think - I had a friend pick it up faintly next door (inside). Router is kinda smack in the middle of our house.

Yeah, 11mbps is slow between computers, but our incoming data speed from cable is still under that, so I've been too lazy to upgrade. I'm not familiar w/ MIMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I dunno, I'm still running a Linksys on an 802.11b protocol that hasn't had any problems in 5 years of continuous use (purchased summer '02). I say go w/ something from them. We have a 1.5 acre lot & you can get a signal pretty much anywhere on the property I think - I had a friend pick it up faintly next door (inside). Router is kinda smack in the middle of our house.

Yeah, 11mbps is slow between computers, but our incoming data speed from cable is still under that, so I've been too lazy to upgrade. I'm not familiar w/ MIMO.
    Saddly Linksys switched to a M$ language from linux a few years ago and now they can be sketchy. 11Mbps isn't bad... my isp is only 6Mbps.

Truethfully..... Buy a decently priced/midd range model from one of the major manufactureurs.
    At the rate things are changing don't buy the top end.... N standard hasn't been fully set yet.

As always - thanks for the input.
    When it comes to range, I'm not sure what the problem is.
    When I take my Centrino based Thinkpad out in the backyard, the signal from the router becomes very weak. When I use the laptop up in my second story bedroom, the signal is excellent coming from the router down in the basement.
    I thought I needed a booster of some kind or a router with more range.

The range is VERY dependant on things like walls and all the wireing and insulation in the them. Also, Cement blocks signals better than wood, so upstairs there is little interference, where as outside it has to "ooze" up and around to get signal away from the house.

Ideally you should put an AP outside to use it outside.

I think you can get excited about MIMO (Multiple input Multiple output) because you are going to get greater range and greater speed. This is going back a few months but I do recall hearing that there was a problem with the Airgo chipset. This may be the reason why 802.11n has not been ratified. I would take a look at Belkin.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by garvey
    I thought I needed a booster of some kind or a router with more range.
    Wireless G Universal Range Extender.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    I'd be cautious about that, I have the Linksys version of that, not sure if it's the same chipset, but between the random drop outs, kind of flakey hand-offs from the main router to the 'extender', and general WTF??? type issues, I think the repeating is a not ready for prime time yet. Also, if speed is important to you, repeating will cut the speed in 1/2 due to the way it works.

Andy, you have company. I read the customer reviews on Amazon but I decided to purchase the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander WRE54G at Office Depot. All I can say is that I am getting Excellent signal strength throughout the home on four different laptops. No slowdowns issues to speak of. If the Wireless G-Range-Expander was flaky, I would've returned the unit within the first two weeks.

If you're not having any WiFi issues, wait for the next generation.

--General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com