Thread: Newton Papers Reveal Apocalypse Calculation

Newton Papers Reveal Apocalypse Calculation

...Newton, who died 280 years ago, is known for laying much of the groundwork for modern physics, astronomy, math and optics. But in a new Jerusalem exhibit, he appears as a scholar of deep faith who also found time to write on Jewish law - even penning a few phrases in careful Hebrew letters - and combing the Old Testament's Book of Daniel for clues about the world's end.

The documents, purchased by a Jewish scholar at a Sotheby's auction in London in 1936, have been kept in safes at Israel's national library in Jerusalem since 1969. Available for decades only to a small number of scholars, they have never before been shown to the public.

In one manuscript from the early 1700s, Newton used the cryptic Book of Daniel to calculate the date for the Apocalypse, reaching the conclusion that the world would end no earlier than 2060.

"It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner," Newton wrote. However, he added, "This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fanciful men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, and by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail."

In another document, Newton interpreted biblical prophecies to mean that the Jews would return to the Holy Land before the world ends. The end of days will see "the ruin of the wicked nations, the end of weeping and of all troubles, the return of the Jews captivity and their setting up a flourishing and everlasting Kingdom," he posited...

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001

Cool THEN CAME vOLTAIRE

THE ELITE THINKER vOLTIARE ON ASKED IF HE BELIEVED IN A GOD
    HE REPLIED " IF GOD DID NOT EXIST, MAN WOULD FIND IT NECESSARY TO INVENT HIM"

NEWTON WAS NO DOUBT A GENIUS, BUT THE ABOVE QUOTE DOES MAKE ME AT LEAST PONDER MAN'S QUEST TO CONTROL OTHERS THROUGH RELIGION THROUGHOUT THE AGES. I AM SPIRITUAL AND HOPE THERE IS A LOVING GOD
    BUT TO ME RELIGION IS A NECESSARY EVIL TO CONTROL THE MASSES

jUST MY 2 CENTS

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity

...Newton, who died 280 years ago, is known for laying much of the groundwork for modern physics, astronomy, math and optics. But in a new Jerusalem exhibit, he appears as a scholar of deep faith who also found time to write on Jewish law - even penning a few phrases in careful Hebrew letters - and combing the Old Testament's Book of Daniel for clues about the world's end.

The documents, purchased by a Jewish scholar at a Sotheby's auction in London in 1936, have been kept in safes at Israel's national library in Jerusalem since 1969. Available for decades only to a small number of scholars, they have never before been shown to the public.

In one manuscript from the early 1700s, Newton used the cryptic Book of Daniel to calculate the date for the Apocalypse, reaching the conclusion that the world would end no earlier than 2060.

"It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner," Newton wrote. However, he added, "This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fanciful men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, and by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail."

In another document, Newton interpreted biblical prophecies to mean that the Jews would return to the Holy Land before the world ends. The end of days will see "the ruin of the wicked nations, the end of weeping and of all troubles, the return of the Jews captivity and their setting up a flourishing and everlasting Kingdom," he posited...

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001
    Yes, this side of Newton is astonishing. The fact that he had spent so much time figuring out clues in the bible concerning the apocalypse and also delved deeply into alchemy experiments, trying to make a philosopher's stone for changing any metal into gold, adds to the complexity of his character.

PBS NOVA has a wonderful program on this
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newton/alchemy.html

While alchemy is of course today much disparaged, it was a legitimate pursuit that many of the brainiest people in Newton's time were engaged in. One of the reasons why it was not known earlier was because Newton wrote down much of what he found in a code that was in the form of riddles. For example, when he refered to the "menstrual blood... extracted from a sordid whore", he was referring to the ore of antimony.

Wise.

One thing about Newton he was smart enough to cover all his bases.

"It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner."
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

[quote=antiquity]
    Are we not in the beginning of Armageddon?

Have not many of the Bible prophecies began to have a remarkable fulfillment in 1914. One of these was Jesus own prophecy, uttered 1,900 years ago, concerning "the sign" that would appear at the end of the system of things and that would prove that he was invisibly present with the kingly power. In answer to his disciples question about this sign, "he said: "Nation will rise against nation and kingdon against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. "all these things are a beginning of pangs of distress. (Matthew 24:3.7,8)
    In striking fulfillment, the first of the world wars started in 1914, bringing destruction seven times greater than all the 900 wars of the preceding 2,500 years. Pangs of distress have continued ever since. Daniel 12:4.
    The "pangs of distress have heightened through Wold War II, which was four times as destructive as World War I, and on into the nuclear age.

http://gnmagazine.org/booklets/ME/warandpeace.htm

Could the Iraq War contribute to the Prophecies that has been written in the Bible?

J