Thread: What's the secret?

What's the secret?

to becoming financially independent and being a quad?
    why do some of "us" seem to be able to do so much more than others in terms of finances?

I understand the basics on when we were hurt, how much we put into the system etc. Personally I worked full-time and saved. I'm on Medicare now, pay out of pocket for an aide, pay property taxes etc. I'm dipping into dwindling savings.

Why does their seem to be such secrecy around trying to get ahead?
    I see some have Foundations.....is this for personal use but one cannot say it's being used for care because the gov't will haul our skinny ass to jail?
    If you're on Medicaid (state) how much can you have. i heard you can make 35,000$ That's more than my SSDI.

Just curious......
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

my guess is-

crip policy- "sssssshhhhhhh don't ask, don't tell = IRS"
    Honestly, I had a tax guy tell me that once lol.

Maybe we need to read "The Secret"?

damn, why couldnt i have sued my car company for breaking my spine!
    Last edited by Lizbv; 06-19-2007 at 02:16 PM.

I agree. Pretty tricky stuff. Just about there myself. Just not sure I can keep up these work hours.

Do you have in-home supportive services in your state? I think that's what it's called. I think that a Medi-Cal thing. It makes a big difference for me. That is money to help you pay for personal assistance. Between that Social Security and my check from work I do okay. I'd be rich if I wasn't in the Bay Area. I'm staying at my parents house as long as I can take it to save money for a van.
    Last edited by Bspill1; 06-19-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bspill1
    I agree. Pretty tricky stuff. Just about there myself. Just not sure I can keep up these work hours.

Do you have in-home supportive services in your state? I think that's what it's called. I think that a Medi-Cal thing. It makes a big difference for me. That is money to help you pay for personal assistance. Between that Social Security and my check from work I do okay. I'd be rich if I wasn't in the Bay Area. I'm staying at my parents house as long as I can take it to save money for a van.

Yes , very tricky. I'm not on medicaid, where I would get my PCA paid for, and a bunch of other stuff...I'm just cluless as why some know the system and others don't.

I just contacted my ILC and hope they have an answer, but was told since I don't get Medicaid I don't qualify for services.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Keep in mind that attendant services eligibility and administration varies widely from state to state, and even within states (for example, in CA it can vary by county, since it is county administered).

I don't know anyone who is rich off of having a SCI. Even those who get big settlements often run out of money eventually. Unless your family is weathly already (Rockafeller, Kennedy, Gates, etc.), you are probably not going to be anywhere near rich, even if you have a great job.

Everything costs more for PWD, even if you are making a decent living. Having to private pay for attendant care is just one. Having to pay for for a modified vehicle, having to rent a wheelchair accessible van at $120/day when traveling instead of renting a $19.95/day discount rental subcompact, not being able to get discounted cruise ship cabins, wear and tear on your clothing (having to replace it more often) from wheelchair use, needing purchase supplies or meds not covered, often having to pay out of pocket for bathroom equipment, home modifications for accessiblity, etc. runs into a lot of money.

Keep in mind that attendant care and most items above are usually tax deductable, so that should be taken into consideration to give you a little break.

Being able to save for retirement, college funds for kids, etc. gets even more difficult, and once you retire, you may have to spend all of that in order to get onto Medicaid if you need that as your care needs increase with aging.

Not fair...but it is the system we are stuck with for now. We can only hope that pushing all the time for legislative reform, and always being vigilant for attempts to cut services even more will improve this.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321
    Yes , very tricky. I'm not on medicaid, where I would get my PCA paid for, and a bunch of other stuff...I'm just cluless as why some know the system and others don't.
    Move to Florida. No property taxes for quads and you can have your PCA paid for if you're a working quad, earning up to $60k. I'm currently renting and don't use a PCA, but I have the links to prove it somewhere.

I think I may have to move...me and John Gotti! He can't afford the taxes either!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    my guess is-

crip policy- "sssssshhhhhhh don't ask, don't tell = IRS"
    Honestly, I had a tax guy tell me that once lol.

Maybe we need to read "The Secret"?

damn, why couldnt i have sued my car company for breaking my spine!
    BY the way,........I hope everyone knows my post is not serious. The issue is very complex. Most of yuou "know" me, so I think your empathetic to my realistic style of "humor". lol Humor is a good coping mechanism lol.
    ...............just feeling a bit overwhelmed today. as they say,
    "no pain, no gain in SCI"?