Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alka-Seltzer for bladder pain-why it's legit!

Alka-Seltzer for bladder pain-why it's legit!

I know a lot of us have tried Alka-Seltzer and it works. I take it a lot for bladder spasms so I can sleep. It's like an old wives tale we hand around to each other, but no doctor ever validates. I saw in a thread that someone recommended an Australian product, Citravescent Effervescent Granules, for bladder troubles...it made me wonder. What is this Australian med that we don't have in the US?

Googled it, these are the symptoms it's for:

* Burning or stinging when passing urine?
    * Need to pass urine more often?
    * Passing only small amounts of urine at a time?
    * Fever, feeling unwell, chills?
    * Pain in the lower stomach or lower back?

What it is:

"Citravescent is a urinary and systematic alkaliniser for kidney and urinary tract infections caused by bacteria. It is in the form of effervescent granules."

Active Ingredients: Sodium citro-tartrate (equivalent to 2g sodium bicarbonate per 4 g effervescent granules).

It's the same thing as Alka Seltzer, w/out the aspirin!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    I know a lot of us have tried Alka-Seltzer and it works. I take it a lot for bladder spasms so I can sleep. It's like an old wives tale we hand around to each other, but no doctor ever validates. I saw in a thread that someone recommended an Australian product, Citravescent Effervescent Granules, for bladder troubles...it made me wonder. What is this Australian med that we don't have in the US?

Googled it, these are the symptoms it's for:

* Burning or stinging when passing urine?
    * Need to pass urine more often?
    * Passing only small amounts of urine at a time?
    * Fever, feeling unwell, chills?
    * Pain in the lower stomach or lower back?

What it is:

"Citravescent is a urinary and systematic alkaliniser for kidney and urinary tract infections caused by bacteria. It is in the form of effervescent granules."

Active Ingredients: Sodium citro-tartrate (equivalent to 2g sodium bicarbonate per 4 g effervescent granules).

Hi Betheny,

Although I've read about it here at the CC forums I've never tried Alka-Seltzer for moderating the level of bacteria in my bladder or for preventing and perhaps curing a UTI. I've been bacterially uncolonized for almost 2 years. Hey, I was getting a UTI every month or two before my new cathing technique so I've earned bragging rights! Funny what becomes important in the life of a SCI.

But there now appears to be two opposing schools of thought on the pH level of urine in the bladder as it concerns bacterial growth. Some try to keep their urine very acidic by taking mega doses of Vitamin C and herbal or "food supplements" and even prescription drugs (is it Hyprex?) to inhibit bacterial growth in their bladder.

And we also have those who claim that alkalinity is the way to go. Using Alka-Seltzer and/or the Citravescent Effervescent Granules that you just wrote about (to use brand names) as alkalinisers.

What's going on? Is it just that bacteria prefer urine that's pH neutral (7.0) or close to it in order to live happily and multiply and that any significant deviation from near neutral is detrimental to it?

Hmmm, maybe the Nurse will know. This is practically the exact definition of polar opposites.

I've seen infommercials selling a certain brand of sea coral that's supposed to make your whole body alkaline and thereby healthier. I always thought that homeostasis required a normal human being to be a bit on the acidic side.

Quote Originally Posted by Betheny
    May as well take the Alka-Seltzer with the aspirin. You may be preventing a heart attack while dealing with a bacterial colonization or UTI. Killing two bad birds with one product. Although only 81mgs of aspirin is the recommended dose for heart health and stroke prevention. And only after consultation with a heart healthcare professional.

But if a little aspirin is good it only makes sense that a whole lot more would be better. Just kidding.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Bob, I don't know if it cures a UTI, but it does help w/ symptoms. I get painful bladder at times even w/ no UTI, and have been using the Alka-seltzer occasionally for that for several years. My urologist just shrugged like I'm crazy, and said "I don't guess it can hurt anything."

Hi,

I wish I could give you a very straightforward answer on this but I agree with above-everyone has their own opinion on a acidic or basic environment.

It is dependent on whether the bacteria causing your symptoms grows better or is inhibited in a particular environment. Additionally, there are hundreds of bacteria types.

I've known people who ascribe to both of these camps and I would say that if one works for you and causing no major problems, then stick with it. The scientific literature does not appear to support either side.

AAD

I tried it, it works a little to take off the "edge" but does not work for my uti's.

I use the Tylenol versions of Alka-Seltzer and it works on the constant, burning, gotta go NOW and then cath all of 50cc's pain. Vitamin C just makes my legs burn, even just 500mg, like I had gasoline running through my veins.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Smile Alka Ur and Kidney Stones

has anyone heard of treating Kidney Stones with Alka Ur?
    It seems to me to be the wrong treatment.

Smile Ural

Hi I am an Australian and have been living in the USA since '96. I would like to comment on the product URAL. First off it does not cure or prevent UTIs, however what it does do is offer a blessed relief from the burning etc during an UTI while antibiotics do their work. I cannot believe that same way some how somebody has not found a way to bring this product to relieve the millions of women in this country who must suffer the pain of voiding! It is perfectly safe and does not have any negative effect on treatment.
    I am currently in the same predicament and not having had a UTI since 2000, have found myself without any ural. Needless to say I am almost crying every time I void!

Thank you to the person who has suggested alka seltzer as an alternative, I will give it a try!

hugs
    Lyndy

This is very interesting to me. It seems my urologist is of the camp of keeping things acidic. When I had an infectious kidney stone he had me drink a ton of crystal light lemonade. He said it breaks down bacteria and calcification from the acid, as well as killing bacteria in the urinary system, while also cleansing the kidneys. My stone was stuck in my right kidney and was not moving. He had told me if it didn't work it would have to be removed surgically because I cath, he did not want ant small pieces to get stuck, that would not fit through the catheter holes. It did work and broke the stone all the way down to where none of it had to be removed by him. So the acidic route did work for me :-)
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

i know several ppl with IC(interstitial cystitis) who drink baking soda mixed in water to help with the pain. some do flushes of the bladder with baking soda/water for pain. it really just depends on your body
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/