Thread: Friend injured spine 2 yrs ago, only now paralyzed...

Friend injured spine 2 yrs ago, only now paralyzed...

My friend has a 16 year old relative in Gentry Arkansas who was injured at the t9/ 10 level some years ago, but didn't realize it since there were few symptoms. A couple weeks ago he had back pain, which then led to partial payalysis. Doctors found that t9/10 were broken. It looks as though he needs surgery, but he needs a referal to a surgeon before they touch him. His insurance is limited, if he has any at all. He is in constant pain, with limited mobility.

What are the first steps he should take to ensure he gets the best possible care given his coverage situation, or lack there of? Sorry for the limited details, this is third hand info. If anyone has any suggested contact information based on his location and situation, please provide that in your response.

Thank you!
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Without further knowledge of the situation, I would recommend starting with the University of Arkansas or University of Tennesee Medical schools. Vanderbuilt has an excellent center, but it is probably harder to get seen there with limited insurance. Shepard, in Atlanta, would be another place to contact. He may not be stable enough for a long trip, have the surgeons recommend a back brace for him until surgery can be performed to prevent further damage?
    Don't wait long, the longer the damage is left untreated the more likely the damage is to become permenent. Even indigent patients receive the care they need in this situation, as it is a matter of permanent disabiltiy.
    They need to see an orthopedic surgeon, often they work with neurosurgeons, but an orthopedic surgeon is what they are looking for. At 16 he is still considered pediatric.
    How was he injured? Depending on the situation that may be a source of funding or assistance.
    BeeBee

Check with the Shriners in your area. They have a program for kids to help with the medical and spinal cord issues. There is no cost and they use the best doctors in the world.

Shriners

http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Philadelphia/

My son is a patient here and I live in Georgia. They've been very to us.
    BUY THE PECAN LOGS!!!
    Cj's Mom

Shriners would be the best way to go... but UAMS Jack Stevens Spine Center is one of the best in Arkansas. If needed, PM me for doctor's names/numbers.

Thank you so much. I'll forward this info and let you all know how things turn out!
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce