Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lookin for advice!!

lookin for advice!!

hi oct 9th just 8 weeks ago i had a motocross accident and broke my back. right now i am a t-4\5 para. they say its complete. can someone explain the dif between complete and incomplete? whats the possibility of ever getting back feeling\control below my injury line? i have lots of spasicity and uncontrollable movement in my legs. at times my legs tingle but no feeling. is there a possibilty of walking again?

-tyler

Welcome to CareCure, parakid. We are glad you found us, but sorry that you had to do so.

Where did you go for your rehab? Are you home now? 8 weeks is way too early to tell if your injury is really complete or not. It is common for return to occur for up to 2 years, or even longer. Many people here were initially ASIA A but got enough return to be ASIA B, C or D.

You should read this article by Dr. Young that will explain in detail level of injury and the ASIA categories:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

There is no way to tell if you will get significant return at this time. The best we can do is to recommend that you get as much therapy as you can to maximize the function you do have, and learn how to keep yourself healthy, free of contractures and pressure ulcers and other complications, which will only preclude your participation in cure research studies down the road.

The tingling you mention is a type of neuropathic pain. If it should get worse and starts to interfere with your function or is not bearable, there are medications and other treatments that can help some. It is not necessarily an indication of return to have neuropathic pain. Did you get methylprednisilone when you first first injured? What are you doing for your spasticity? Standing daily, daily stretching and ROM exercises, and laying on your stomach (prone) for some time each day will help but some people need to take medications too if it interferes with function, safety or hygiene.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions. We will try to help.

(KLD)

dude, sorry to hear about your motox accident, but welcome to CC.
    Daniel

well thanks for replying. im now at Helan Hayes hospital for rebab in west haverstraw NY. the first day i got here the dr came in without touching me at all said " hi im sorry but u wont walk again". this really hurt me because im big into sports and i tihnk i can overcome this. i have so many people at my side. im not doing anything about the spacicity in the legs. i honelsty dont want them to stop moving. idk what it means but to me its something new i didnt have a few weeks ago.wel thanks for your reply and thanks for making this site.
    tyler

Don't give up...

Sports is not over, even if walking for you might be.

I am active in many wheelchair sports, they are actually more fun than AB (able bodied) sports.

Wheelchair Rugby- It's like dodgeball and demolition derby combined.

Wheelchair Basketball- Mix a basketball, a court and players, throw in a few chairs and look out...

Sled Hockey- Google it, it is the best, my favorite

Also, many cities have paved fields for wheelchair baseball etc.

Just because one chapter of your life is closed, another is open, there is a whole new world out there. I am sorry you are here but glad to have you with us. I might be able to send you information, or you can google any of these.

Daven

I am so sorry that you have a jerk for a physician. His comment shows his ignorance. No one should be told that their first day...and no doctor can predict your ultimate outcome this early. We may be able to say it is doubtful, but no one can say never. Walking is just part of your life and function anyway, and the cure will come (even if your doctor doesn't think so). Drop Dr. Young's name to him, and challenge him to come to this site too!

Take advantage of the other services at Helen Hayes, learn how to take care of your health, and to maximize what you have. Find someone to talk to about your feelings...a nurse, social worker, psychologist, your PT or OT or the recreation therapist. I am sure they have some staff there who are not as blind as that physician.

Participate in recreation therapy, and ask them to introduce you to wheelchair sports. I know a number fo elite wheelchair athletes...many have been to the Paralympics, and many compete internationally. Wheelchair sports are just as competitive as AB sports....and there are few sports you cannot do with some modification. What did you do before other than motocross? I know a lot of people at your level who drive motorcycles and ATVs, play tennis, sail, kayak, rock climb, play wheelchair basketball, touch foodball, swim, participate in track and field events, trap shoot and hunt, etc. etc. etc. Have you seen the movie Murderball? The guys in that film have higher injuries than yourself, but you should see it anyway to see some of the high level competition that is available.

(KLD)

Aaaaarrrgghhh I wish doctors wouldn't do that. It's lucky you were smart enough to find this place for a second opinion.

Prepare for the worst, work and hope for the best. Build the ramps, get the best w/chair for you, prepare like you'll never walk or compete again. Work your butt off in rehab, see if you can wake something up. Nobody knows this early in the game.

Good luck!

Had you not been told that by the neurosurgeons or other docotrs in acute care.? Did you ask him if you would walk again? I know it seems cruel but some rehab doctors feel it is important to start with their opinion and that is his opinion then as your doctor he should give you that. Some doctors want the truth out the first day, or sooner, of what they think will happen so the rehab can begin. Some patients won't paticipate or relal get in to the rehab because they want to wait because they aren 't going to need what we are tryign to teach.

Most physiicans will say they don't think you will walk again and it is based on x-rays etc.. but there is a small chance or give a percentage. I hope you will be able to talk with him despite this.

CWO

CWO and I may disagree on this, but I don't think that being brutal is necessary in order to be honest and realistic.

There is a BIG difference between these two remarks:

"Face it, you are never going to walk again....get used to it"

and

"From looking at your reports (Xrays, previous exams), I am sorry to say that it is highly unlikely that you will walk or get other significant return. I will do you exam to confirm this. Regardless, it is too early to say definately, and we certainly hope that you will get return. It is important though to make plans for the worse case, which is that you will not improve neurologically."

The first is cruel. The second is supportive, but still honest. Just words, but a big difference to someone who is as emotionally vulnerable as someone who is in their first day of rehab and their first meeting with their rehab physician. Our doctors use some version of the second (as I do when I see patients to screen them for admission when they are still in the ICU).

(KLD)

I remember asking why they couldn't give me statistics. My doctor was like parakid's. (He was also wrong, as it turned out. I never walked well again, but I did walk.)

Also had a urologist that I asked the odds of ever having bladder control. He told me "Zero". Also incorrect.

They don't have to be so brutal.