Thread: Need car advice

Need car advice

Right now I use a folding chair (Quickie 2), and pull it into the back seat of my car. I have a 2-door car, with a kind of bench seat (no center console). I get in on the passenger side, and slide across. The car is getting old, and "they" don't make them like they used to (almost everything has a console and bucket seats).

It's to the point that I've resigned to getting in on the driver's side if I'm going to get a new/different car, but most cars don't have enough room to get the wheelchair in the back, without having the seat too far forward.

The possibility of customizing a car has also come up. Is it possible (and what would it cost?) to get a 4-door car, and have the rear driver-side door open the opposite way (clamshell/suicide door). I don't want an Ion (bad Consumer Reports), but that is a kind of design I would like. I imagine I'll have to go to a body shop to have something like that done. Another possibility is removing the center console, and maybe putting in a bench seat. I'm not sure how realistic it is for either of those ideas.

If anyone here has any suggestions, please share. Unfortunatley I don't think a rigid frame would work for me. It's difficult and awkward to take it apart, and pull it into the car. I'm reasonably strong, but I don't know if I'm just not used to it, or if it's my level of injury (T5), but I don't think loading the chair in that manner will work for me. A van is out of the question. A Honda Element is too far off the ground (maybe lower it?), and I do not want anything with a lift (just another thing to break).

Hi ax, you might want to post this in the equipment forum, too.
    Good luck.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

My injury level is t5--same as yours--and I drive a 2005 Nissan Altima and use a rigid chair and have no problems whatsoever in getting in and out and loading the chair. I hop into the driver's seat, pop off one wheel, toss it into the back seat, turn the chair around, pop off the other wheel and toss it in the back seat, then I load the rigid frame on the passenger side and it fits perfectly. It took me a couple of times to get used to the process, but now I'm fine AND pretty speedy. It's not difficult to do at all with a rigid frame.

I discovered this by asking questions in the equipment forum as well.