Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Toyota Matrix XR & Sure Grip Hand Controls

2007 Toyota Matrix XR & Sure Grip Hand Controls

We got the car last Friday night....Saturday we ended up on a road trip. It ended up with river sand in it the first day... alas, it was not clean for long.

Booger sighting!! The man is as elusive as Bigfoot!

When my Grans passed away, we had our own memorial service at Lake MacDonald (in Glacier Park). I wore these purple silk flowers for that service. After the service, I took them off and pinned them to the visor in the van. When we bought the Matrix, it was the first thing that was put in the car, even before we started it. Sounds weird, I'm sure...but it was important. Boog says that Grans blessed the car.

40/60 Split seat with the 60 side down. I also took the little cover off of a storage section. This is wear the tonneau cover and the cargo nets store. The rails in the back of the seat and on the floor are for cargo tiedowns.

This is the floor in back lifted up to show more storage and where the spare tire is. In one bag is two cargo nets and the other bag contains the tie-downs and hooks for the cargo area.

More storage...there is one of these on each side. You can also see the cargo net/tonneau hooks on the side as well as part of one of the rails for the tie-downs.

Here's what it looks like now with the Thule rack on it. A cargo box is next, once we can save up the funds for one.

Here's the back with my chair in. I use the full-length net to hold my wheels against the back of the seat. The smaller net is on the side for odds'n ends (binoculars, bug spray...you know, essentials). Then my chair is sitting in front of that. I have a towel folded up on top of the jackets. That goes over the bumper for me to sit on so I don't get my pants dirty while putting my chair together. I did put a rug down to keep from scratching up the floor anymore than we already had. The day at the river, I ended up picking up big rocks for my flowerbed. Poor Boog's back...

Here is the hatch open, showing the chair placement. I can put the 60 side down and put my chair in without breaking it down, but when the guys all go with me I break it down. They can put it together for me.

There was a delay getting the hand controls in, but a week after purchasing the car... the controls were in. Yeah, I can drive my own car!!

Here's one with the instrument panel lit up...plus a pic of Buffy, my copilot.

Sweet ride and good choice on the sure grips...I love mine.
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Looks good, congrats!

thank you! The SureGrips actually came out my Caravan. I traded the van in on this car.

I called Toyota Mobility and spoke with them regarding my installer and got a file number showing preapproval for the reimbursement. My installer is SG certified, but not NMEDA certified.

Toyota also said they would cover the cost of moving my controls. Since the rods weren't bent for the van install, the only new part I had to pay for was a new mounting bracket.

I'll have to take another look at my receipt, but the total cost was about $287. Definitely worth calling the mobility program for the car and asking if they would cover the move of the SGs!!

The first tank of gas got 32 mpg. We were doing a lot of town driving and back/dirt/gravel road driving on that tank too....I'm pretty impressed considering we are in the break-in period. I'm not sure what we get for highway yet. We're going to do a highway drive soon to test it.

For my birthday in April, Boog put a cd player with iPod dock in my van. I miss it. The 6-CD in-dash stereo kinda makes up for it, but daggone I miss my ipod.

I also need to get used to having a dark interior that shows dust! My goodness. I wiped everything down with armour all -- that kinda helped. My pics of the underside of the dash look a little weird because of it tho. Got any suggestions?

Great pictures and write up. I like those Toyota Matrix/pontiac vibes. They are great vehicles.

I love the little hooks for the floor mats:

I have my mats covered with the rubber mats out of the van to protect them from river water/mud, etc... Once I get the inside/outside treated and sealed, then I will take my rubber mats out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    The first tank of gas got 32 mpg.
    sweet! more than 2x the mpg that my Jeep gets.

great looking car. are the seats comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    I also need to get used to having a dark interior that shows dust! My goodness. I wiped everything down with armour all -- that kinda helped.
    Be careful with Armour All. It can actually dry out surfaces over time.

C.

thanks for the tip...for some reason the car has a static problem, so dust, hair etc stick pretty good. I am going to scotchguard the seats and get some sealant for the dash etc. I want to clean out the car and get it sealed once we get a good day to do it. Before we actually start camping. Were supposed to go this w/e or go fishing at least. Weather was too cold and windy. we ended up working on clearing the property as well as scrubbing lawn furniture.
    Last edited by Jadis; 06-17-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    sweet! more than 2x the mpg that my Jeep gets.

great looking car. are the seats comfortable?
    yes, very comfortable for me actually. It took me a long time to find the van that i could be comfy in. When I stopped by the dealership, I went on a Friday when my back and legs were killing me. I sat in the seat and thought "just leave me here." They are firm, yet hold me in the seat. With my roho on the seat (no matter which car anywho) I am good to go. Mom swears her Subaru seats are the most comfy seats, but for me they are hell. I think it just depends on the person.