Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2007 Toyota Matrix XR & Sure Grip Hand Controls

Ohhhhhh Jadis, I am ever so envious of ya!

What a wonderful little ride, hope you enjoy it for years to come. I think your pics may have made a decision for me, as I've mentioned before I'm looking for a good all around car, hatchback preferably. Love the Mini Cooper, but too expensive. Ditto Madza3, Honda Fit, few others. I'm not SCI, but a caregiver, and one house I work at has a resident who uses a wheelchair. It folds down (in the traditional way) after removing the seat back and cushion, and by the looks of your photograph of the cargo hold and hatch the chair would fit vertically behind the rear seat with plenty of room to spare. I would estimate the push handles to be about 34" high - will this fit under roof/clear hatch opening? I could fold ONE rear seat down if need be, but the other half HAS to stay up as I'm transporting 2 passengers, plus me as the driver. I've already had the Matrix/Vibe high on the list, about the biggest stumbling block for me so far, aside from money (of course!) is my stubborn insistence on a manual transmission (many reasons, but mainly mileage and performance) - probably fewer than 1 in a dozen Vibes/Matrixii are sticks. And they're ALL overpriced around here. i'll keep looking tho.

On mileage I bet you could flirt with 40mpg on the Interstate if you kept it under the speed limit (but, but........didn't they do away with that once?) and a stick would do even better. The Matrix runs the same powertrain as the Corolla, and a MT Corolla is rated 32/41 mpg.

Anyways, the first I see a 2-3 yr old Matrix/Vibe, stick, A/C, cruise, decent CD, priced around 10-12k I'm gonna spring for a loan and pray REALLY hard...

Good luck with your car, enjoy!

Tom

What a great car Jadis, HAVE FUN!! (and that little Toyota will run forever!)
    Dave

I could easily get 40 on the highway without the rack on. I've talked to a few people who have the same car that gets high mileage on theirs. It was getting 32 mpg in city the first week. I'm interested to see how the rack is really going to mess with my mpg. Will have to run it for a while with it on there, then take it off after camping season and see what happens.

It is a Corolla...says so on the owner's manual. "Toyota Corolla Matrix XR"....funny about the manual vs auto. All we have here are manuals. I had to have an automatic shipped here from Idaho! lol

As far as whether or not the chair would fit, just try it. I don't know since mine doesn't have push handles on it. besides, my dimensions are different than a typical chair. When we were looking we would literally load my chair into the car. I would do it to see if I could (we would go on high pain/low strength days). If I couldn't, it was out. if the chair didn't fit...we would move on.

Well, I've had the car for three weeks now and absolutely love it! We've already put 1100 miles on it.

My daily driving is about 5 miles a day, but the zipping around Montana on the weekends is what gets me. HaHa! Last weekend Boog and I couldn't sleep, so at 4am we decided we were going to Glacier to look for bears. We drug the boy out of bed and was in the park by 5am. Nice sunrise!

The 'trix got it's first shower at the Weeping Wall. We did park it under the falls behind us, but the flow was so intense the car was rockin. I felt it was a bit too much and might knock a rock loose and dent the car, so we moved forward a bit. It's one of the things ya do when you go to the park -- drive under the water at the Wall and roll down your windows and honk in the tunnels.

For Father's day we got Boog a smoker/grill. He's been saving for it forever, so I told him that I could make up some of the difference so he could get it. We weren't sure if the box would fit because the grill was so big--they were sold out of them when we went the week before and they told us it came in two boxes and was good sized. Then there was the firebox in a separate box.

Well, we decided to leave my wc at home. I used a store scooter. We laid both back seats down to make room. We had room for the grill boxes (grill came in one box, second box for the firebox), plus a rake and a few other things -- and even would have had room for the chair. We were suprized by what we could cram in there. If we needed to, I realized how much room I actually had with the front seat laid down also. Definitely a good purchase.

http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

The few things that I don't like about the car can be fixed.

For example, we attend star parties (astrononmy parties). The lights are daytime running lights but have a sensor where if it gets dark enough the lights automatically come on. I have an on/off switch, but it doesn't turn the lights off at night. Basically, the switch stays in off position and i can move it for turning on/off fog lights. Well, I need to be able to turn them off! I found a group for matrix owners and found there's a way to deprogram the lights so they won't auto come on. And, I also found out there is red vinyl I can get to cover the head/tail lights with. I think I will probably do the vinyl instead. I can cover the lights and it's easily removable.

The other thing was the static. For some reason there was a fair amt of static in the car. I don't know if it's my location (air humidity or lack thereof) or the cleaner they used on the dash etc. So, I gave it a good going over with Meguiar's Interior Cleaner/Protectant and the problem ceased.

I don't know if this helps, but about five years ago while doing surveillances I had the same problem with Chevrolet. The trick was to apply the emergency brake before starting the car.....I think!!! We used to pull into position, turn the car off, apply brake and then restart.....bam, no daytime lights. Good luck!

Dave
    Dave

Holy crap!! I got the remibursement check from toyota today! I faxed them just two weeks ago with the signed form, etc!!

Thanks for the tip Herco! It's not the drls that bother me as much as the auto sensor kicking the lights on at night. The other astronomers are gonna be cussing me lol.

Good deal Jadis, sounds like you made the right choice with the Toyota. I am still on the Fence between the Matrix, Honda Fit, the Suzuki SX4 or a used Mercedes, lol.