Thread: Catheter migrated on Bac Pump - back to surgery

Catheter migrated on Bac Pump - back to surgery

After increasing my dosage 100 mcg in one week and still no change in my spams, my doctor had me have x-rays and sure enough - the end of the catheter is curled up and nothing is getting into my spinal column. That explains why I'm up to 215 mcg per day and still having to take 40 mg of oral every day, too. I go in for surgery on June 25th.

My physiatrist says that it's not as big of a deal as the first surgery, but I am scared to death of getting another spinal migraine. I was flat on my back with one and totally miserable for 7 days when they put the pump in!!! I even got dehydrated because it hurt too bad to even lift my head to drink anything!!

Is there anything I can do to PREVENT getting that migraine? Can they put me inpatient for the surgery so that I at least have someone to help me if I do end up with the migraine? Last time I was home by myself all day long - unable to even get myself something to eat or drink. Then, too, they could TRY a blood patch after a couple days. (Not that I think it would work - I had 2 blood patches after my c-section and neither of them helped!)

The surgery doesn't phase me - I'm just so afraid of that damn headache! Regular migraines are bad enough, but those are total HELL!!!

Thanks!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

Ask if you can have this done as a 23 hour stay (technically this is considered outpatient, so covered by many insurances). This way you will be in the hospital at least the first night, and can get IV fluids if you do get the headache and cannot drink. Keeping yourself well hydrated is one way to help battle this problem. If the headache continues and is not controlled, your 23 hour stay can be continued.

Good luck. I hope that your surgery goes well and there are no headaches!

(KLD)

is it normal to get a migraine headache with this precedure?

No, it is actually not a migrane. It is called a spinal headache. Some people are more subject to them than others.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod the Quad
    is it normal to get a migraine headache with this precedure?
    This headache, sorry, sure felt like a migraine, is from the spinal block they did during the procedure. I also got one when I had a c-section. Normally your blood clots and fills up the hole where they injected the medication. When the blood doesn't clot and fill the hole your spinal fluid leaks out and that's what causes the headache.

They can do what's called a blood patch where they draw blood and inject it into the needle hole so that will clot, but I had 2 done with my c-section and it didn't clot either time. That one lasted 6 days.

Those headaches are miserable - as long as you are laying flat - no more than one pillow high - you are fine. Once you lift your head above that your head just pounds!

Hopefully you will never get one! Please pray that I don't get it again when I go for surgery next week! Thanks!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

Oh tina, so sorry to hear this. We are still "treaking" mine, but it is definately working. (Just not quite as well as I had hoped.) Hope everything goes well.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005