Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breakthrough in multiple sclerosis research

Immune Ablation and Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Aggressive Multiple Scle

Immune Ablation and Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Aggressive Multiple Sclerosis: Presented at ECTRIMS
    By Chris Berrie

PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC -- October 22, 2007 -- Immunoablative therapy plus autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) completely abrogates relapses and MRI events related to ongoing inflammation for up to 5 years, researchers reported here at the 23rd Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS).

Mark S. Freedman, MD, Steering Committee Member and Professor of Neurology, University of Ottawa, and Director, Multiple Sclerosis Research Unit, Ottawa Hospital-General Campus, Ottawa, Canada, presented the 5-year interim analysis from a 3-year phase 2 study.

"If we completely remove the diseased immune system, we should halt ongoing immune-mediated damage, because we would have removed the mistake," Dr. Freedman said during his presentation on October 13. Furthermore, the purified stem cells should be capable of restoring a functional immune system, and might even be capable of stimulating repair.

more:

http://www.docguide.com/news/content...25737C0071AAAB

In the Clinic - Dr. Harold Atkins, MD, on Marrow Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine

(November 7, 2007 - Insidermedicine) Welcome to Insidermedicine In the Clinic, where we bring you advice on clinical skills from some of the world's best doctors, giving you the inside track on knowledge gleaned from years of medical experience.

In this video, Dr. Harold Atkins, MD, a clinician-scientist with the Ottawa Hospital Blood and Marrow Transplant Program and the Ottawa Health Research Institute, discusses bone marrow stem cells and regenerative medicine in the context of Multiple Sclerosis.

see it:

http://www.insidermedicine.ca/archiv...cine_1817.aspx

i SAW THIS TODAY, AND YOU MIGHT WANT TO SEE IT.

Stem Cells- Dr. Omar Gonzalez' Therapy for all Ills!

Biological solutions for degenerative diseases, bringing in hope where
    there is none!

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Sister Nancy Boushey, Rio Grande
    City, TX, resigned to a life of pain with Rheumatoid Arthritis is healthy
    and normal today thanks to Dr Omar Gonzalez. She hails him as a savior" my
    Good Shepherd, Jesus and His own good shepherd, Dr. Omar, have rescued me
    from a valley of darkness."

Cathy Zuker, Mt. Pleasant, MI, patient of multiple sclerosis for years
    was unable to walk unaided. She dragged her left leg and had to LIFT her
    legs manually when she got into the car. After her implants she can't stop
    smiling and the sparkle in her eye says it all" I have stopped taking one
    of two antidepressants without any negative effects. My friends say I
    'glide'. I also wake up without a headache' "My mind and my life turned 360
    degrees as my body became CANCER FREE!'" says an equally exultant Peggy
    Seagrist from Corpus Christi. She suffered from breast cancer, arthritis
    and a masticated tumor in the stomach. Multiple placenta implants and
    acupuncture brought her out smiling!

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...04710427&EDATE

Glaucoma Assessment Tool can Help to Track Multiple Sclerosis Progression

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain is the gold standard for monitoring the progression of multiple sclerosis (MS), but it is expensive and comes with limitations, one of which is the inability to assess fully the extent of loss of neurons.

New research by neurologists at the University at Buffalo has shown that a technique called optical coherence tomography, or OCT, a simple and inexpensive measure employed currently to assess glaucoma, also could be used as a surrogate marker of disease status in MS and to assess the effectiveness of new and current MS treatments. Results of the study appear online in the "in press" section of the Journal of the Neurological Sciences.

more:

http://www.medindia.net/news/Glaucom...on-30901-1.htm

MS: Stem Cell Transplant

Stem cell transplants for people with MS: What does the research show?

Currently, stem cell transplants are an experimental treatment for MS. We know that they have the potential to help treat MS, but that the procedure can have a number of health risks. Research is ongoing to determine whether stem cell transplants are safe and effective.

Scientists first realized that stem cell transplants may work for MS when they discovered that MS patients, who underwent stem cell transplants as part of their cancer treatment, had a noticeable improvement in their MS. This, plus promising animal studies, led to more interest in studying stem cell transplants for people with MS.

more:

http://www.medbroadcast.com/channel_...article_id=468

An experimental adult stem cell transplant is getting results for patients

An experimental adult stem cell transplant is getting results for patients

Updated: Feb 26, 2008 02:18 PM PST

By Lori Lyle
    WAVE 3 Health and Medical Reporter

LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- Adult stem cell therapy has become a standard of care when treating several types of cancer. Now a review of clinical trials involving adult stem cells during the past ten years indicates they are helping patients who have a variety of diseases and even heart trouble. One patient diagnosed with multiple sclerosis says his symptoms are gone.

Barry Goudy was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1995. He began losing feeling in his left leg and as trouble with his central nervous system progressed he started to lose his vision.

"You sit and you cry and you wonder why you and then I went back to my neurologist and said tell me how I can fight this," said Barry.

Barry enrolled in a clinical trial in 2003. After five days of chemotherapy to destroy his immune cells, doctors used his own stem cells to rebuild his immune system.

"I have no symptoms of MS. I do no treatment for MS, I do no shots," Barry says.

more:

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=7928797

MS Society Comments on Stem Cells Story

Posted : Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:21:01 GMT

Author : Multiple Sclerosis Society

LONDON, April 23 /PRNewswire/ -- With regard to Professor Charles ffrench-Constant's comments on stem
    cells and multiple sclerosis:

Dr Laura Bell from the MS Society said: "These are exciting times for MS
    research. Ten years ago there were no drugs to treat MS, but today there are
    a range of therapies available and a dozen more in late stage clinical
    trials. We are putting millions into MS research and very much hope that the
    new avenues we are exploring - including stem cells - will bring about major
    advances in the next ten years."

more....

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...2C363847.shtml

http://meltwaternews.com/pagroup/pag...371208910648A0
    Last edited by manouli; 04-23-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Adult Stem Cells Helping MS Patients

May 9, 2008

Adult Stem Cells Helping MS Patients

by Nim Reza
    While congress is focusing on embryonic stem cell research, a breakthrough in adult stem-cell research means some people with one of the most debilitating of diseases could finally get some relief.

Researchers say they were only trying to “restart” the immune systems of M-S patients with adult stem cells from bone marrow. What they saw was a remarkable remission of the disease. No one’s using the word cure, but no patient with the treatment has had a relapse in nearly seven years. Dr. David Prentice of the Family Research Council.

“I think this is just another brick on the pile of adult stem cells and their ability to effectively treat disease in human patients.”

This is just the latest study that shows how effective adult stem cell research is compared to embryonic stem cell research.

“It’s about time," said Prentice, "that people woke up to the facts, that adult stem cells are the ones that hold real promise to treat patients.”

more....

http://www.citizenlink.org/fnif/A000007392.cfm

New study aims to take mystery out of MS

New study aims to take mystery out of MS
    Posted Fri May 16, 2008 1:19pm AEST
    Updated Fri May 16, 2008 2:51pm AEST

Associate Professor, Bruce Taylor from the Menzies Research Institute is aiming to take the mystery out of multiple sclerosis. (ABC News: Fiona Breen)

Audio: Associate Professor Bruce Taylor from the Menzies Research Institute discusses a new study of multiple sclerosis with ABC Hobart reporter Fiona Breen (ABC News)
    The Menzies Research Institute hopes to take the mystery out of multiple sclerosis(MS), with a study investigating factors that predict the rate of progression of the disease.

more....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...16/2246950.htm

Charleston doctor participating in clinical trials for mulitple sclerosis drugs

Tuesday May 27, 2008

Charleston doctor participating in clinical trials for mulitple sclerosis drugs
    Charleston physician has 800 patients who are afflicted with the disease
    by Monica Orosz

Dr. Kirin Kresa-Reahl and her husband, Dr. Harry Reahl, have plenty of paperwork associated with the day-to-day operations of a busy neurology practice.

Yet Kresa-Reahl gladly takes on even more if it will help her patients and advance the ways of treating multiple sclerosis, a disease that affects 3,000 West Virginians.

MS attacks the central nervous system - brain, spinal cord and optic nerves - and can cause symptoms such as numbness, balance problems and vision loss. Depending on the type of MS, symptoms may come and go, change with each attack, or they may progress to the point that the patient is disabled. It affects women two to three times more than it does men. Most people are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50.

Currently, Kresa-Reahl's and Reahl's practice is involved in 14 clinical trials for medications to treat multiple sclerosis. Kresa-Reahl's patients involved in the studies - currently 29 - are using medications that are either newly approved or on the cusp of being approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration.

more.....

http://www.dailymail.com/Life/200805270181