Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Advive On 15yr Old Son

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    why is it most motorcycle accidents hurt the thorasic part of the cord? i might be wrong but it seems most here in bike wrecks have that injury.
    Most here, but not all. I still consider myself extremely lucky tho' as my head-on collision could've been much worse.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by diane2
    Knucklehead, I am really curious about why you would supposedly "ask for advice" when your mind seems to have been made up from the start.
    No my mind is not made up, my sons is though. He does plan on racing but not for several months. I asked for advice because i had never dealt with this type of injury before and wanted as much info as possible to present to my son. I felt that hearing the information from people that have spinal issues would be better than hearing the ones that said "well I don't know much but if it was me". I'm not going to just come out and say NO you can't race, I want to make sure he has all the info. My quest does not stop here I also asked the same question on motocross sites.

Quote Originally Posted by KNUCKLEHEAD RACING
    My quest does not stop here I also asked the same question on motocross sites.
    Good idea. How do the answers there compare?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Good idea. How do the answers there compare?

Most are that if its what he loves and he knows what the outcome could be, let him race.

Quote Originally Posted by KNUCKLEHEAD RACING
    Most are that if its what he loves and he knows what the outcome could be, let him race.
    I kind of agree with that. He's had a taste of what could happen - maybe he'll race differently, maybe he won't. He may find he doesn't enjoy it but let him find that out.

I think the only reason to ban him were if he were at significantly greater risk than before.

How many SCIs injured in MVAs get back in cars? I know I would.

Life's too short..........an argument which fits both points of view in this thread depending on your perspective.

Good luck.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    i was given this nightmare from a motorcycle accident. why is it most motorcycle accidents hurt the thorasic part of the cord? i might be wrong but it seems most here in bike wrecks have that injury.
    I agree that most people who have spinal cord injury from motorcycle accidents indeed do have thoracic injuries. I am not sure why but can speculate. Because the rider is not restrained, the body usually flies forward (as the mortocycle itself hits an obstacle and stops). In most cases, the instinct of the person is to avoid hitting with his or her head. In such a case, the impact is usually to the shoulder or chest.

Injuries to the shoulders often result in avulsion of the brachial plexus (tearing of nerves that go from the spinal cord to the arm). This causes paralysis, loss of sensation, and usually severe neuropathic pain. There is very little treatment for this and it is a horrible condition, loss of use of one arm with pain. This is what they are planning to treat in London with OEG transplants.

Injury to the thoracic spinal column usually requires a great deal of force to cause spinal cord injury. Because the ribs support the vertebraes, ribs are usually broken. Because the forces are so great, such injuries tend to be quite severe, ending up typically with ASIA A. They either have severe injuries or relatively little neurological deficits.

Occasionally, the injury may involve the lower thoracolumbar spne. In such a case, the injury may be complex and may be ASIA C. Because spinal roots may be damaged instead of or in addition to the spinal cord, the neurological manifestations may be quite complex. I have discussed this before.

Wise.

I remember getting a sick to my stomach feeling when I couldn't take the every two day weekend of go-karts as well the expense of and state my approval for motocross instead (his father had raced and I liked the sport, love bikes, etc.). I remember meeting a man who lived near a track the kid raced, who had para injury but still allowed his son's to ride. I remember wanting to be selfish and getting the Nighthawk I was looking at instead of the new Yamy for the kid. I remember fearing the speed street bike he would get from his father, once graduated more than the dirt bike. I remember the day before my son's injury, his leaving the house, my hearing brakes from a car thereafter... I cringed at the thought of. But that wasn't what I was sensing. I remember thereafter stating how the kid has escaped even a minimal injury with all the different type racing and what have you during... I remember the next day worrying about his best friend and him being tired from a late night out and telling them to be extra careful because of it~ then the call.

I've often thought about what life truly tries to tell you. The connections we make throughout our lives and de ja vu's in retrospect... so many of them it's like I was being readied and warned? I will never forget the first time my son and I pulled up into my sister's driveway while he was transfering to the chair and hesitated as he told me he had dreamed it before, as we were that very moment.

It is tough to know what is the right choice, what is paranoia, and what just is~ you do what you feel is right and best for yours. We have only tried to advise you. Life will be as it will be~ T.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    Because football contributes the largest number of spinal cord injuries, much attention has focused on it, with resultant decrease in the number of spinal cord injuries. The incidence of spinal cord injuries increased from 0.7 per 100,000 in the 1960's to 1.6 per 100,000 in the 1970's and declined to 0.4 per 100,000 in the 1980's due to safer practices (Source (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001737.htm)). The year 1990 was historic in that it was the first and only year since beginning of record-keeping in 1931 during which there was no direct fatality in football. 1994 had zero fatalities at the high school level and 1 at the college level. In 1995, there were four fatalities. But these numbers are low compared to 1968 when there were 36 direct football fatalities. During the 2005-06 school year, over 4.2 million high school students participated in football. In 2004, there were 19 direct catastrophic injuries in high school football, the lowest number since 1994.
    College football was associated with only one direct catastrophic injury in 2004, the lowest number since 1982. In addition to the direct fatalities in 2004, there were also ten indirect fatalities from heat stroke, lightning, and unknown. Three of the injuries resulted in no permanent disabilities, including one cervical spine fracture and two brain injuries with full recovery (Source (http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/AllSport.htm)).
    This was interesting to learn since this was how my son recieved his SCI....
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

son 17 , won't ride again...not worth risk

Hi, Just thought I would comment on your post. My son like yours was lucky... he loves to race bikes, quads etc. He had his accident on June 16th, his injury is no-where near severe as your sons. His heart is broken, about the risk of riding again. His neurologist told him he has had two patients with same type of injury, within six months they got on there bikes. One is paralyzed and one is dead. We have decided he won't ride again. He is a child now, with the it won't happen to me attitude. Common sense doesn't kick in until 21....
    We are looking into cart racing...less risky.
    If I let my son ride...and he ends up dead or paralyzed, how could I live with the decision I let him make as a child. He is to young to decide his fate. As an adult let him make that decision.
    It sounds like your son will have a long recovery...things can change. Don't let him get on a bike.
    I hope your son recovers completely. It is a hard decision to make... not worth the risk.
    uuudianauuu
    Just out of curiosity, maybe I missed this is your son seeing neuro-surgeon or orthapedic surgeon? If he is seeing an orthopedic surgeon, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from a neuro-surgeon...I would asap.
    Last edited by uuudianauuu; 07-06-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Like your son, my son loved riding motocross with a passion. He raced constantly. We experienced the loss of two of his friends within a 1 year span due to motocross accidents. We did not want our son to ride again, but his love for it was so great that we let him. He, at the age of 15, (1 year and 6 months ago tomorrow) went riding to practice for a race and had an accident. He broke T5/6 and is now paralyzed. At first, he was insistent that if he recovered he would ride again, but now 1 1/2 years later, I do know that he would not ride again because of how this accident changed his life. Even though he has a great attitude, he has suffered so much through out all of this.
    If we had it to do all over again, his father and I would never have let him ride. It hurts so bad to see our son in this situation and to know that there is nothing that we can do to change it.
    I am very grateful that your son was not paralyzed. In making your decision for him, if you will do research, you will find that there have been an incredible amount of accidents leading to death and paralysis over the last few years in motocross. It is a very dangerous sport
    as is many other sports, but from out experience, it just isn't worth the risk.
    I wish you the best and know how very hard it is to make a decision to make.