Thread: Ruling by Supreme Court for caregivers(paid)

Ruling by Supreme Court for caregivers(paid)

Don't know if this should be in politics or not. If it should, please change.

Supreme Court rules home health-care workers not entitled to overtime pay protection

More than 1 million workers who care for the elderly and disabled in their homes are not entitled to federally protected overtime pay, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday

Unions said better pay would result in better care and alleviate high turnover and worker shortages ...
    My apologies .. link .. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ck=1&cset=true

Any thoughts on this?

Raven
    Last edited by Raven; 06-13-2007 at 12:01 AM.

For those paying out of pocket, it's a good thing. However, for attempting to help the shortage and keep the current ones, it's bad.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

My thoughts on this:

I believe that this is just discouraging for those who may be taking care of us. Where I live we keep getting untrained, and uneducated people that are hired by the agencies. Most of the people I have had as providers don't know much about how to take care of somethings for me. I have been told that they at times have had to take care of vent dependent patients and feel at a loss as to how to deal with this.

My belief is that they should be trained to some point by the agencies so they can perform a better job. The money they get paid is minimal here. I don't know about other places but my thoughts are that this discourages them too. I have had some whom are interested in getting training in this field but are barely making it on what they earn. Minimum wage of $5.50 per hr is not an incentive to get us better care. What surprises me is the fact that many of these providers are citizens or legal residents too. I would think that the government should allow them to be paid more than the minimum. From some searches that I made, I found what the projected amount would/should be for healthcare by the year 2006 and was surprised at what I found. Also, they are not allowed to work more than 40 hrs in a week for this would make them full time employees and deserving of more benefits. This, I feel, is discouraging and causing a hardship on them.

This is the link that I was so surprised at to what is the actual truth for these people. http://www.wageaccess.com/ncs/healthcare.asp

Raven