Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: it's amazing the difference an inch or so makes

it's amazing the difference an inch or so makes

So a few days ago I tore my Crossfire apart to make some changes for being outdoors more over the summer. I pulled my 4" soft roll casters off & put 6" versions on. This raised the front end up an inch. I pulled my 24" LXs w/ Primos off & put on my old 25" X-Cores w/ lightweight Maxxis mountain bike tires (26x1.95", 310g). This raised the back end up at most an inch and a half.

Now I HATE messing w/ the typical brakes that are on these chairs b/c they have something like 8-10 screws to adjust & it's just annoying... so I got the brilliant idea to push my rear axle tube back as to keep the front of the mtb tires in the same spot as the Primos, thus eliminating the need to mess w/ the brakes. Now there's not THAT much of center of gravity adjustability on the Crossfires, but just enough to keep me from having to tweak the brake settings. Success.

Here's the kicker that I wasn't planning on... this chair feels totally different now... in a good way. Sure, it takes a little more energy to get the larger wheels/etc moving, but that little COG adjustment made this thing so much more stable. I used to be able to rock myself back w/ little effort, so I left the anti-tippers on as to keep my skull intact. No big deal. Now I have to put forth considerable effort to even wheelie far enough back to rest on the anti-tip tubes (which were set as high as possible). Wheelies are still easy though... so I pulled those things off yesterday... and have had no problems with uncontrolled stability, even on steep hills (my driveway being one). I'm digging it.

This might not seem like anything earthshattering to you guys, but those tubes get in the way ALL the time when I have to deal with getting the chair into a car. That's been driving me nuts.

Point being: it's good to keep your chair a little tippy, IMO, but if it's really tippy (you might not realize this; I didn't), it may be worth tinkering with your COG. I actually find it easier propelling myself uphill now, and I even added a little bit of extra weight to the chair.
    Last edited by -scott-; 06-12-2007 at 12:32 PM.

I have found that this is especially true with the Crossfire, Quickie Ti and other cantilevered frame chairs. The absence of that lower frame rail (i.e. less weight in front of the rear axle and a higher center of mass) means that small adjustments can really change the dynamics of the chair.

BTW Scott, is your front STF where you wanted it to be in the first place with the 6" casters (which probably add a little weight to the front as well)?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    it's amazing the difference an inch or so makes
    That's what she said.

I tried to use a low profile Roho, but for some reason, I couldn't void when sitting on. Somehow, my inside plumbing twists when I'm on that instead of a high profile. I would love to sit lower.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    I have found that this is especially true with the Crossfire, Quickie Ti and other cantilevered frame chairs. The absence of that lower frame rail (i.e. less weight in front of the rear axle and a higher center of mass) means that small adjustments can really change the dynamics of the chair.
    absolutely! I love it... I balance SO much better & can hold a wheelie for as long as I want.

I may try and sell my smaller Spinergy LXs now.

BTW Scott, is your front STF where you wanted it to be in the first place with the 6" casters (which probably add a little weight to the front as well)?
    you know, it might've.. assuming you're refrencing the thread I started when I first got this chair. Either way that STF height just increased an inch, which I found in the grand scheme of things hasn't made much difference in day-to-day things. The 6" casters are indeed a little heavier, but not by an an exhorbidant amount by any means. The diameter of the aluminum centers are only 1/2" more than the 4" version, the rest being the soft rubber. They fit great & probably help with the stability some. I'll get a photo later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    That's what she said.
    I had a feeling someone would make a comment like this.

snap a pic scott.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I had a feeling someone would make a comment like this.
    My mind went there, too. Quelle surprise! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    snap a pic scott.
    my dog is staring at my butt.

i can act retarded if i want. "blue steel" a la zoolander.