Thread: Boy genius

Boy genius

This video of a boy genius at work, making incredible calculations in his head to 100 digits. He knows 9 languages and can learn any new language in a week. Dazzling memory stunts. Remembers and recites pi to 22,500 decimal places. Five hours and nine minutes of reciting the digits. How can the brain do this?

He also seems like a very nice man. One of 9 children. Had a seizure. diagnosed as epileptic. After that began to see pictures and images. Intuitively sees patterns that numbers form. The video also shows some other people with the same problem. He could name the day of the week and weather.

Actually, I saw a similar phenomenon in a TV show of one of the kids that Ben Carson operated on (removed half a hemisphere for treatment of epilepsy). The girl was able to give the day of the week for any date that you give her.

Worth seeing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...96365903075662

Video excerpt from Beautiful Minds: A Voyage Into the Brain featuring the autistic artist Stephen Wiltshire.

Able to perfectly draw the city of Rome, in a three day duration, completely from memory, from a 45 minute helicopter flight above the city. Every street, window, balcony, building is done completely from memory.

Truly staggering!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfIHdUNImo

The World's Smartest Man

http://notelay.com/articles/people/t..._smartest_man/

The World's Smartest Man
    Tue, Mar 5 2007 Daniel Tammet

Daniel Tammet is a 27 year-old math and memory wizard. He can calculate numbers to hundreds of decimal points in seconds and learn new languages in a week. He is a savant... with a difference. Unlike most savants, he shows no obvious mental disability, and most importantly, he can describe his own thought process.

Daniel Tammet first came to worldwide attention in March 2004 on International Pi Day (3/14, of course) when he recited, from memory, Pi to 22,514 decimal places. It took over five hours and set a new European record. The event, which Daniel named "Pi in the Sky", coincided with Einstein's birthday and took place in front of Einstein's blackboard at the Museum of the History of Science in Oxford, England.

To him, Pi isn't an abstract set of digits; it's a visual story, a film projected in front of his eyes. He learn the number forwards and backwards and, last year, spent five hours recalling it in front of an adjudicator. He wanted to prove a point. "I memorized pi to 22,514 decimal places, and I am technically disabled. I just wanted to show people that disability needn't get in the way."

He claims that since the age of four, he has been able to do huge mathematical calculations in his head. When asked about this, he explained that he could see the numbers as shapes and colors in his mind. This breakdown or confusion of the senses is known as synethsesia. He appears to be doing the mathematical calculations without actually thinking about it, which seems preposterous, but if true, blows away scientific theory.

<more>

Wow! One with such abilities must see the world more "completely" than the rest of us. I think I truly appreciate brightness. I wish . . . Scott.