Thread: 1981 Corvette can it haveHand Controls?

1981 Corvette can it haveHand Controls?

I have a 1981 Chevrolet Corvette that was a project I owned pre-SCI. I am wondering if I can fit some hand controls on it. I am a L1 complete para. I've been wondering if I should keep it and outfit it or sell it and get something more easy to adapt.

Just wondering if anybody has experience to share or suggestions.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

I drive a vette with hand controls, If your is an automatic, I say go for it! Two things to think about... Is there room for your chair in the hatch or passenger seat; secondly, is there room for your legs after the controls are in. Being 6'1", I needed to get portable controls from andre viger (sp?) in montreal to leave me enough room.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange
    I have a 1981 Chevrolet Corvette that was a project I owned pre-SCI. I am wondering if I can fit some hand controls on it.
    Even if your car has a manual transmission, you can still get hand controls for it.

RediAuto Sport

C.

It's an automatic and the 1981 model has plenty of room behind the seats for my chair, I think. I haven't tried it yet. It is still a project. It slipped down the priority list when I crashed my plane. Just started thinking about it and was wondering what had already been done by others.

Grange, have you thought of going back up as a pilot? Or have you done that already? Is that an ultra-light you're flying in your avatar, can't you rig it up with hand controls? Or are you leery of flying now.
    I've often pondered buying one of the ultra-light kits and putting one together. But I haven't followed up on my dream.

Good luck.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Hey RDF,
    I have not been back up flying yet. A couple of reasons. I do not know anybody with an airplane that is handicap adapted. When flying an airplane you control the rudder with your feet on pedals. There are adative devices that make this possible. I hope to fly again one day. I do not know for sure how I will feel and probably won't know until I do it. The airplane in my avatar is actually an experimental category airplane. New changes in regulations would recategorize it to Light Sport Plane. It is not an ultralight however most people would probably call it an ultralight. Unfortunately, It is the plane I crashed and is bent up pretty bad now. Actually it was totally destroyed in the crash. I love flying and started flying ultralights in 1985. I got my private pilots license in 1992. I will fly again. I will wait until my son is older and out on his own. He is 13 now. I am truly thankful he was not flying with me that day... Flying is truly a rewarding and exhilirating experience. I say go for it.
    Grange