Thread: voiding questions

voiding questions

I have a suprapubic catheter and I have a voiding feeling and sometimes I do void. I take 5mgs Oxybutin twice daily. It's worse after I change catheter for about 3 days. I was told to change catheter every 2 weeks. I have no UTI symptons. Is there a different medicine I can try? Should I have Urodynamics test done? I had a sphinterotomy done years ago when I was cathing. I use Silastic catheter.

There are other medications that can be prescribed, but you need to check with your urologist. Also, every 2 weeks seems to be a short time in between cath changes - usually people with a sp tube can go 6 weeks in between changes. Did your doctor tell you to change it that often?
    CKF

[QUOTE=SCI-Nurse]There are other medications that can be prescribed, but you need to check with your urologist. Also, every 2 weeks seems to be a short time in between cath changes - usually people with a sp tube can go 6 weeks in between changes. Did your doctor tell you to change it that often?
    CKF[/QUOTE
    Yes, that was from my doctor. I'm going to Stretch it out a little. I think it's to short.

My son just had a sp done and went to his urologist the first time, after the surgery, this week. Before he could get there, 2 weeks ago, his cath clogged and had to be changed. The urologist changed it again, to be on the safe side. He said that it may be necessary for him to have to change it every 2-3 wks instead of every 4-6. Everyone is different and he may develop clogging sediment faster than the average.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

You are right, Bob B that everyone is different. However, I was coming from the point that for some people, one of the reasons to go to a SP tube is to lengthen the time between caths. That usually happens since the tube is larger- I was just curious since most of the time 2 weeks is not the time given between sp changes.
    CKF

10 mg. daily of Ditropan is a relatively low dose. You can take up to 30 mg. daily. See if you can increase this (check with your physician). There are also other anticholenergics: Detrol, Vesicare, Sanctura, Levsin, Enablex, etc.

Have you had problems with clogging? If not, try going longer between catheter changes. If not, then ask your physician about regular instillation of Renecidin (this is different than an irrigation). This works for most of our clients who have problems with lots of encrustations.

(KLD)