Thread: Colostomy Constipation

Cool Colostomy Constipation

T-12 Complete. Big Pain, take lots of pain meds. This slows me down and I get constipated often. I feel awful However, my Doc, says he wants me to stop taking Prune Juice to activate a bowel Movement. So I take stool softners and everything else I can think of. What about irrigating? Would that help me with constipation? Couldnt I just irrigate when I feel plugged up or slow? This sounds like it could really be my answer? Also, I have mucous that oozes out of my Loop Opening. I have a Loop Colostomy with two openings. One for stool and one for Mucous. But this Mucous is thick hard stuff like Carmel or something?? Very hard to get out. I have to use a small tool and try to dig it out. This sometimes causes bleeding and still dosnt get it all to come out? Any suggestions for this as well/ Thanks, Mike
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Quote Originally Posted by mike bauer
    What about irrigating? Would that help me with constipation? Couldnt I just irrigate when I feel plugged up or slow? This sounds like it could really be my answer?
    yes, yes, yes, and yes.

I don't know why more people don't irrigate (aside from trying to save time?). It's nothing more than flushing water through & letting it flow back out w/ the goods.

worth a shot, IMO. I do it every other day.

Most colostomies don't require irrigation. Why do you have a double barrel? Are you planning to reverse it? This is generally the only reason that this is done. You should do regular enema/irrigation of the unused section of the bowel to prevent mucous "stones". Generally monthly is sufficient.

How much stool softener are you using (Colace)? How much fiber supplement or dietary fiber? Both used in sufficient amounts should prevent constipation in anyone with a colostomy.

(KLD)

Enema???

I have not heard of this... so you are saying the part that is unused.. that goes to rectum... yes, I get large lumps (stones) of mucous built up there. I have had to remove them rectally. I didnt think that was to great... getting those. How do you do an emema? Throught the opening... my second stoma opening?? What and how would I do this? Thanks for you input. Yes, this side does get blocked up.
    Last edited by mike bauer; 06-11-2007 at 03:38 PM.
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

We rarely do double barreled colostomies unless there is a plan to reattach and "take down" the colostomy at some point. Is that your plan?

Most of our patients who have colostomies have a single stoma, and then the unused bowel ends at the anus. Mucous will collect there as it is not being evacuated with stool, but is still produced by the body. We (and our colorectal surgeon) recommend a monthly Fleets emema through the anus to flush out this mucous and prevent both mucous leakage (very hard on your skin, and foul smelling) and the development of these "mucous stones" that you describe. With a double barrel, I suppose you could also do it from above through the distal stoma, and get on the toilet to let it flush out the anus. Ask your physician about this.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Most colostomies don't require irrigation.
    This has nothing to do with requiring / not requiring irrigation. Mine certainly doesn't require it, but I elect to do so b/c it cleans me out well & I feel better, plus I can keep an empty pouch if I do it every other morning.