Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin effects

I started 1800mg on the 7th. I think it's done what it's going to do. I think I have had problems on Neurontin for a while and never connected the dots. Sometimes I can look at something and not know its name. I looked at a carrot once and could not tell you that it's a carrot. This happens all the time. I am going to call my doc and try to get back on lyrica. I'll deal with dry mouth over this fatigue.
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

I took Neurontin for @ 2 years after my injury. I don't remember what dosage I ended up at but I slowly upped it until it took away the pain. It worked great taking away the pain but I would stare at the floor for long periods of time and could not finish a sentence, depression and fatigue were horrible. I would cry constantly when alone and fall asleep in the middle of a group of people. I tried lowering the dosage but that wasn't worth taking as far as the pain was concerned. I finally decided to drop all pain meds and live with it. It sucks to lose a nights sleep 2-3 times a month but I would rather be able to function mentally. I've found the vodka/cranberry cure all works good enough to get me by. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by quadmarie
    I started 1800mg on the 7th. I think it's done what it's going to do. I think I have had problems on Neurontin for a while and never connected the dots. Sometimes I can look at something and not know its name. I looked at a carrot once and could not tell you that it's a carrot. This happens all the time. I am going to call my doc and try to get back on lyrica. I'll deal with dry mouth over this fatigue.
    With either Neurontin or Lyrica I try to encourage people to be informed consumers and study about the drug. These are meds not to be taken lightly and there's a bunch of information about them available online and from the pharmacist. A good starting point is the formal material available from the manufacturers. I'm not talking about the abbreviated version that's generally handed out at the pharmacy. The one on Neurontin is something like 20 pages long. If you can't find it online, ask at the pharmacy for whatever they can get for you.

Hi, I was considering the use of Lyrica, but have been on Neurontine, the generic brand of this medicine, 2400 mg a day for eight years. It did take me a couple of months to get the drowsy effects to wear down and has helped me rest better. It does keep the pain down considerably as well. I have been curious about the switching to Lyrica and I feel less likely to try it, since it could impair memory. That is all I need at this stage of the game. Does it really help the pain though? I appreciate any help in the consideration of switching. Thanks

I would like more information about the switching to Lyrica and if it would be worth the time and effort it takes to make the switch. I have liked the generic brand of Neurontine and have taken it for 8 years. I also rest better when I take the 2400-27-- mg a day doze. Thanks for any imput and answers you can give me.

I believe Neurontin does effect your abilitiy to choose and use words. My degree is in journalism, and I've never had a problem with finding the right word at the right time and using it in a sentence. But for the week I was on it, all that went out the window. I'm told I pointed at a chair and called it a car. I referred to a TV as a teepee. I was told this because I have no recollection of most of that week. It seems like I got the first letter of the intended word right, but after that all bets were off. Lucky for me my ex is an RNP. When she saw how I was acting she had the Doc take me off it. I was back to normal in a day or two. I'm fortunate not to remember that week or I'm sure it would have scared the hell out of me.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Neurontin raised blood pressure

May be my system only, but I was on lyrica 100mg 3/day but went onto neurontin as it is cheaper here in Oz. But had to go up to 1200 3/day to get same effect. Co-incidentally I was taking blood pressure and found that I went from normal 120/80 to around 160/95 and found I had more pain developing in areas I had not had before. Now back on lyrica, blood pressure coming down but the pain in these new areas still there but not as bad - 12 months post op of a spinal DAVF.

When I first started on gabapentin (Neurontin) it made feel really strange too. The next month when I saw the doctor I requested (and received) a prescription for diazepam (Valium) to calm me down or straighten my head out so to speak. My doctor thought it was a strange combination since both drugs cause drowsiness. The diazepam worked a bit to straighten me out (my thoughts and thought patterns) but now I'm used to the effects of the gabapentin so don't need the diazepam anymore. I still take diazepam ocassionally but mainly the full daily dose (20mgs) at bedtime.... it helps a bit with sleep... maybe.

The gabapentin does work in taking away the stabbing neuro-pain in my right flank but I think it also makes me depressed and forgetful... especially with word recall. I'm alright when I'm writing because I can usually find the words after a little thought but they no longer jump up at me. It still makes me feel a bit drowsy but only when I'm in bed... when I'm up and busy I don't realize the effects of it. Maybe it's too much C-SPAN that's causing my drowsiness.... that's a real possibility!

I really wish that I wasn't on it (2400mgs a day) but I'll probably be requesting a higher dosage when I see my doctor in a couple of months since the pain is creeping back. If I take a double dose (800mgs) it takes all the pain away. Usually. Whatja gonna do... stay in pain?

I need to get a couple MRIs taken and maybe find the cause of the pain.... perhaps a severely pinched nerve caused by a degenerated disc that could be relieved with a little metal fixation hardware or something along those lines. I've been in this chair a long time putting pressure on the discs just below my Harrington rods. That's just a guess or a hope of mine. Try to fix the problem, not cover up the symptoms.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Memory Loss

I see so many of the forum members complain about memory loss while taking Neurontin. I have had similiar problems such as forgeting names, phone numbers, and prior events. My questions is, have there been any studies showing that the memory loss is restored after discontinuing Neurontin after long term use? In other words is there permanent damage?
    mike

Neurontin

Memory loss and weight gain
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous