Thread: Article-Restoring Function after SCI

Article-Restoring Function after SCI

Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2007 Jan;18(1):143-68,

Restoring function after spinal cord injury: promoting spontaneous regeneration with stem cells and activity-based therapies.

Belegu V, Oudega M, Gary DS, McDonald JW.

The International Center for Spinal Cord Injury, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 707 North Broadway, Room 518, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA.

Although neural regeneration is an active research field today, no current treatments can aid regeneration after spinal cord injury. This article reviews the feasibility of spinal cord repair and provides an overview of the range of strategies scientists are taking toward regeneration. The major focus of this article is the future role of stem cell transplantation and similar rehabilitative restorative approaches designed to optimize spontaneous regeneration by mobilizing endogenous stem cells and facilitating other cellular mechanisms of regeneration, such as axonal growth and myelination.

Publication Types:
    Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
    Review

MeSH Terms:
    Animals
    Electric Stimulation Therapy
    Humans
    Nerve Regeneration/physiology*
    Recovery of Function/physiology*
    Spinal Cord Injuries/pathology
    Spinal Cord Injuries/physiopathology*
    Spinal Cord Injuries/therapy*
    Stem Cell Transplantation*
    Stem Cells/physiology

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Wildwilly
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Wildwilly,
    I am amazed and impressed with you're thoughts and views on restorative therapy. I push every day, to try and learn my boundries, only to regain, and push ahead. Mc Donald, Schalow, and a few others have helped me realize a whole new different approach, and world for me. I continue to fight, and win, get a good nights sleep at least [every other day], eat healthy foods, and never give into the fact that I am getting older. To stay young at heart and healthy has let me overcome so much. No one has sprayed anything on me, no faith healers, no magic potions. Alot of hard work and determination. I just took a break from layng down a stepped walkway, from my fathers barn up to my driveway. hauling cement pavers, 4+6's, and steel rods , up the incline. It hurts,,, but so what!!!!
    In the end I will get back muscle, strength, stamina, and maybe if I'm lucky some more movement. At the very least I was home to answer a call to do some work, and now it looks like I've got 2 days on a project that has yet to be delivered. Gotta finish the walkway

Thanks alhavel. I truly believe there is a better “standard of care” regarding PT. This standard will require hard work form everyone involved (that includes your PT)

wildwilly
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Willy,

While I've had some good PT's, they finaly looked at me and thought that I may have known more than they did, they agreed on hard core PT, but were unsure how to direct me, in the end they figured that I could save alot of money and do it on my own. Based on my research, which always hit a home run, they sent me to a gym, with the blessings of, call when ever you need us, and listen to your body. The gym I go to once and a while, but, my physical endurance has far progressed so much, and my lack of concentraation on watching CNN on the treadmill grew old quick. I set about doing the things I once did, regrouping and going forward ever since. I may never be the person I was, but damnit I'm trying and loving every minute of it. At the end of the day I don't get nearly as much accomplished as I use to, but I feel I've done a justice to myself.

The world needs more people like yourself, Mc Donald, And, Schalow. there are a great deal of people led to beleive, " they will never walk again ". Not True, the desire, hope, and determination, comes from within, to all those capable.

I’m glad to here that you had PT’s intelligent enough to say “I don’t know”. I see nothing wrong with this response as long as they are putting for an effort to truly answer/solve the question (there is a tremendous need for research concerning physical rehabilitation). Physical Therapy (and rehab in general) is not cheap. I believe the future of recovery focused therapy will be provided in a community setting/gym with periodic over sight (or re-evaluation) from appropriately educated/trained clinical staff. This will significantly reduce the cost while providing a research foundation (network) to investigate the most effective therapeutic exercise parameters/dosage (optimal type, intensity, frequency and duration for various SCI must be established) along with the development and implementation of outcome measures sensitive enough to measure the slightest change. I personally do not believe that current outcome measures are sensitive enough to measure “recovery”. Most of the current measures (FIM, WISCI…) are based on “functional” change. There is nothing wrong with “functional” however, there maybe multiple “nonfunctional” incidents of recovery before it becomes functional as defined by medical community and even more so by you’re insurance. I’m currently working with individuals who have suffered serious TBI who are all ambulatory at some level (house hold or community distance). I took a poll (16 clients) the other day and was not surprised. Every individual was told that they would never walk again. I can not imagine the effect that this has on an individuals recovery not to mention their hope and desire.

Wildwilly

Willy,
    So far I'm Captaining my own boat, so to speak, the research I've done McDonald, Schalow, Rim Institute, and others. Have all been custom tailored to me, by me. Not bragging , but, it all seems to be working. Hopefully, in a month or 2, I can show every one the train wreck of a spinal fusion job to all the others here. I didn't want to be crippled, nor did I have any part of it, to see what I was once doing, may play a big part in it. After all who would hang by one leg 25 feet in the air and weld? I did, upside down. any body who seen this said " well he looks like he is happy, and having a good time" I was, but that was me, the chances I took were my own, and I am still leading my own band of Doc's and PT's. More than one, can't believe what I've been through, and how I've come back. I give them all the info I'm looking at, and trying, and their files are full of printouts, and schemes I put together. I not only have their blessings, but their curiosity of " where the hell do you find all this stuff???" I feel in control of my own destiny, and that is to get back what I have missed for 3 years. It's alot of work, it's enriching me. and as tired and sore as I may get, it all seems to come a step ahead at a time.

The doc's that said "I would never walk", "if it doesn't happen in 2 years", are all history, I didn't want to hear what they had to say, and took a "tough shit doc" attitude.

I'm kinda glad it's raining today, what I had planned might have done more harm than good, I could use the rest. So far I haven't, but at least "Hey I'm trying", I don't want to quit. 3 1/2 years later and I'm still staring down the barrel of the gun, defiantly, not giving up, for no one. I wish others would do the same, not easy, not pretty, but things are starting to go the right way. I may never be the same as I was, but I'm giving it all I've got.
    A couple of years ago, when I was still working, before the accident, some captains said I couldn't tow a net where I was working, every day, little, by little, I had charted some amazing courses, had fantastic catches of fish. Hell I did in an hour and a half, what took the "best' to do all day. No one ever followed me, not only were there rocks and boulders in the bottom, they thought I had rocks in my head. I only wish I could do it again, and yes,I'm trying, maybe this will be th year.

When I don't like what someone says, I always go the other way, its worked in the past, and continues to work still. With the cards stacked against me I continue, to defy, amaze, and turn the neurological world upside down.